Fish Disease?

Murton Bere

Reaction score
Caught some Tench in a new water today (Sat 15th Aug). One in particluar was a 4lb fish with a 'hand size black swollen marking all down one side. It protruded from the fish by up to about half an inch and appeared to be 'jelly' like but when touched was much more firm to the touch.

It had a black patch on the other side but wasn't protruding from the body.

Now this may sound ignorant but as I don't really fish Carp waters I haven't taken too much notice of the various diseases that abound these days. Does this sound anything like the symptoms of those Herpes/KHV cases? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any advice would be very welcome. Have found a gravel pit we can seemingly fish that's not on a club or day ticket but would not want to be spreading anything harmful.

Also equalled my pb @ 6lb 2 oz which by todays standards is not massive but I was chuffed with it as it was taken on the float. It too had a black patch about the size of a 50p on it but that was the extent of it.

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
If you have any photos you can email to echocarp@hotmail.com I would be happy to pass them to the Fish Health Inspectorate for their opinion.

For clarification, Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) only affects carp, although there is much science to suggest other species (such as Tench) can be carriers.
That said, I would say that KHV is unlikely to be the cause in this situation.
However, I would advise the angling community to practice good bio security, by thoroughly drying ALL wet tackle items in between venues and complying with and supporting any efforts by fishery owners to protect their stocks, at all times.
KHV is a real and immediate threat, but there are many others, some we know about and the vast majority to come I am sure.
As a community it is vital we do our bit to prevent the spread of fish disease wherever possible.

Murton Bere

Reaction score
No pics unfortunately

Ruth,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me so didn't get a snap of the problem. It looked like a black jelly consistency but wasn't loose and soggy to the touch as I thought it might be.