Are anglers optimists or pessimists?

klik2change

Reaction score
Is the glass half full or half empty? It is my firm belief that most anglers are optimists. We keep believing that we will catch a big 'un this time, or catch a big weight.

But when it comes to organisations and situations we are deeply pessimistic. We are convinced about most anglers' apathy so we dont believe the Angling Trust will work. We dont believe the police will do anything about EEs.

Does this pessimism come from too many blank days? Or are you just a disappointed [or failed] specimen angler?

Optimism says HOPE

Pessimism says EXPERIENCE

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Optimism says HOPE Pessimism says EXPERIENCE

To me, optimism means living a life that has a lot more happiness in it than living one where you always expect the worst.

Expect the worst and you usually get it, expect the best and at least you're happy all the way to the final result, whatever the outcome.

When I go fishing I know I'm going to catch. When I pack for home I sometimes realise I was wrong.

It's too easy to be a miserable ****** who only sees the dark side of everything and everybody, and too many people who spend their lives humping chips around on their shoulders.

All the Meldrews of this world should go and live on a big island somewhere and depress the hell out of each other.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
To me anglers are by nature born optimist's. If on any days fishing the float doesn't dip, or the rod tip doesn't pull round, then there's always ''tomorrow''.(It's a special day tomorrow, isn't it). And we wait for the next tomorrow with equal enthusiasm.

And if that doesn't work, the weather was wrong, or water conditions awfull, true optimism.

S

Scott Whatmore

To be a fisherman of any kind you must be an optimist. It's a rare commodity and worth its weight in gold. If I had a jar of the stuff I'd dip all my baits in it!

Old Nick

Reaction score
How often have you been fishing, blanked for the session and thought "lets just leave it another five minutes, I can sense somethings going to happen" and you catch a lovely fish?

Thats the power of optimism, the pessimist would have packed up, gone, and missed the catch!

My glass is always half full .......................... unless its half empty of course!

dezza

Reaction score
I'm a born optimist, yet no-matter what you do to present a positive image to the world, there is always some stupid b*****d who is determined to grind you down.

As regards fishing, if I believed everyone I met who told me that it's no good fishing today, I would catch nothing. Like the fly fisherman I knew who only ever used blobs and Vivas who would spend 5 solid hours stripping, and at the end of it proclaim that the lake needed stocking.

And I went out and caught 6 fish - but not with blobs.

But the worst b*****d of all was the pillock of a doctor who told me I might not walk again. If I ever see that bloody quack again I will kneecap him I will. Seriously I often wonder where the medical profession get their qualifications; from lucky packets?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest one should temper optimism with a large dose of Reality.

Who was it who said that;

"an optimist is just a pessimist with no job experience?"

As an angler my approach is always optimistic but suitably dosed with reality, but then I fish mainly on the local rivers where the typical conditions would not lead you to be too optimistic.

In my match fishing days I never went to a match without the thought that I can win this match, otherwise, why bother going?

So, I suppose I'll opt for realistic optimism.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist see the opportunity in every difficulty."

Winston Churchill

klik2change

Reaction score
How often have you been fishing, blanked for the session and thought "lets just leave it another five minutes, I can sense somethings going to happen" and you catch a lovely fish?
I was fishiing a lake during the close season along with several others. Nobody was catching anything, and had not done so for some days. I was reconciled to blanking myself. I had packed up, just leaving one rod till last, with a zig rigged bread roll rig on it. I reeled it in, pumping, like sink and draw. Suddenly it became heavy. I thought the lead and the hook had caught in weed.

It had indeed caught in weed, and was all now only a few yards out. Then I felt a fish flap and to my surprise a jack pike had taken the bread... sink and draw I suppose. Last cast... undreamed of finish. I have to say I would never - of course - have expected it, even in my wildest optimistic raptures.

It never ceases to amaze me that most non-anglers think fishing would be a depressing pastime!
When I ask them why, in that case, would we ever do it, they are completely nonplussed!

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Is the glass half full or half empty?

It depends what's in the glass.

Marker

Reaction score
we are by nature optimists, why would you go fishing if you weren't optimistic about catching;)

klik2change

Reaction score
I am convinced that optimism is a vitally important element in character building. Kids are encouraged to become anglers because of its character building qualities. Despite all the bravado, the majority of kids are lacking in self esteem, which churns out pessimists by the thousand.

Optimism and a bright constructive outlook are really important for everything human beings try to achieve. I think it's as important as that!

slime monster

Reaction score
I am optimistic that I will get the best out of the day when fishing even if the rewards are thin on the ground ,this may mean a rethink on any optimism on prefered methods bait etc ..as they say you make your own luck in angling,sometimes it goes t#ts up but there is always the next time and isn't that a common saying amongst us eternally optimistic anglers?

klik2change

Reaction score
Whilst being an optimist you are also a realist. I am sure nearly all of us would completely agree with that. If your plan doesn't work you need to make a new one. You know that because you have confidence - ie, Optimism founded on SUCCESSFUL experience!

dezza

Reaction score
We must appreciate that there are times when we are going to fail. But true failure only comes of not learning anything by our mistakes. If this learning helps us onto success, the pleasure is so much the greater.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i'm a pessimist

i go through a life full little pleasant suprises, when things actually work.

i'd hate to be one of you optimistic lot gettting let down all the time