fishing for tench on a canal

tommyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
hello everybody :)

ive been fishing a canal recently at whitemoore lakes, wimborne (for anyone who knows it)
the canal has carp tench bream and some hybrids and i really wanna catch some more tench i only ever caught one and it was from there but how do i get the tench really feeding im using a whip and was fishing sweetcorn just overdepth but i really wanna get a few more because i think there a really great fish, but how do i get them on a sorta feeding frenzy, any baits, additives, groundbaits, methods and what size hooks shall i use not a single fish would take the bait if the hook was showing at all so anything please! all advice is appreciated
thank you :)

tom

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You could try Hemp, Casters and Chopped Worm, and fish with Chopped Worm or Casters on the Hook.
Groundbaits and 2mm pellets as feed also work, but to much groundbait can put the fish off.
Sometimes a Cocktail bait works, like Corn and Red maggot on the same hook.

Tight Lines :D

tommyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
thanks ill try that out when i can get some money one problem is money for me i got to pay £5 for entry and im only 15 i get like £2 pocket money so i usually 'try' to make groundbait and if i wanna make pellets is it just same as bolies but i can make them tiny for like feed maybe?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Buy a cheap loaf about 50p, and stick it in a Food Blender, for your Groundbait.
Buy Tesco's own brand corn i think it's about 20p a tin, and it is very good. Or any other Supermarkets own Brand Sweetcorn.
Buy some red maggots about 1.20p for a half pint.
If it rains you could always go out and try to collect some of your own worms, and the added bonus is, they're free.

I buy all my pellets from a Pet Food Store, i would have thought that making boillies is dearer than buying pellets.
If you can get access to making boillies, why not make the paste then instead of boiling the paste, use it directly on the hook.

tommyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
ooooo thank you 20p a tin ! i think ill be stocking up on that then :) thanks and these pellets from pet stores? what are they?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
They're 2mm feed pellets no sure what they are really, but they sink if you cover them in water for a few seconds then drain the water off, ideal for putting in feeders or mixing in with your groundbait.

If you want sweetcorn for just feeding in the swim, buy the packets of frozen sweetcorn, they work out a lot cheaper in the long run.

klik2change

Reaction score
Try catching worms after dark, on damp nights. You could look up on the internet on how to start a worm farm. Or you could buy a loaf of bread from a supermarket - sometimes as cheap as 35p. You can blitz bread into crumbs in a food processor, or use breadflake as hookbait for tench.

I should forget making your own pellets, though good luck to you if you tryI You wouldn't be wasting money if you bought some 6mm size trout pellets. You get a massive amount in a bag and you can do a lot with them. They can be put on the hook with a baitband or superglue, made into paste to put in a feeder, or as paste on the hook. You could also try the cheapest luncheaon meat.

Good luck and have fun!

Use smaller hooks or try hair rigging your baits [look at the rigs pages on here. You could also try hair-rigging your boilies]. Bigger baits on hair rigs will tend to keep the smaller fish away, but not the tench [or the carp]
Your whip would only have a chance against a big carp if your elastic is strong enough! Unless you know how to tie an elastic ask someone who does know!

slime monster

Reaction score
Hi Tom ,My lad lives near there so I have fished it a few times,I have not fished the canal only the main lake and my info from the owner was that the canal was stocked mainly with Carp ,The main lake has very good Tench I had them to 5lb amongst Bream,I watched a young lad fishing the peg to the right of the long point at its start ,he was catching lots of Tench on Prawns ..hope this helps ps chat with the owner ask where the Tench have been showing in matches

tommyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
thanks alot for that and slime that information is very very helpful thank you very much i did see some carp in the canal a biggish mirrow came to the surface from reaching distance from me i will fish the main lake when i get a rod which i am going to order now cuz i miss a rod so much :( thanks everyone and can you liquidise sweetcorn and use it effectively?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Liquidised Corn is fine, mix it with your groundbait as it's easier to get the Liquidised Corn out there.
You could cup it in, but i don't know if your whip has a cup fitted to it.
How long is your whip?

tommyyyyyyyy

Reaction score
only 4m i bought it temporary because i wanted a rod but i couldnt not fish for like a month so... i could strap a kinder egg cup to it :)