tips for a night fishing virgin?

supgen

Reaction score
I'll be doing a 24 hour stint on cellars clough, what will I need and what are the essential pieces of kit?

cheers

J

Bluenose

Reaction score
Headlamp
Phone
Extra clothes and/or a sleeping bag or bedchair cover/blanket.

Bully

Reaction score
How are u planning to fish? Do you have, for example - baitrunners, buzzers etc? Comments above valid, but I would say get your fishing gear sorted first.

supgen

Reaction score
no worries about alarms baitrunners etc tackle is covered- more what I'm in need of to keep cosy and comfy and to minimise what could go wrong :D

I have 2 headlamps, sleeping bag, stove, can opener.... :p

keep em' comin'

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jonnie,

If you work on the principle of staying; Safe, Warm, Dry and not going Hungry then you should be okay.

Safe
Headtorch with extra batteries, fully charged mobile phone (with an ICE number) and shoes/boots to fit the conditions.

Warm
Sleeping bag and a cover if chilly, but remember most of the 'cold' will come from under your bedchair - site it close to the ground and put an insulating layer between the bedchair and your sleeping bag. Suitable outer clothing to fit the conditions.

Dry
Large umbrella or a bivvy with a groundsheet. Don't leave too much kit outside at night, the dew will give it a good soaking.

Not Hungry
For me this is most important, a stove and cooking utensils and food and beverages of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Don't forget to make sure that the swim you are fishing in doesn't have any obstacles in the way of you reaching your rods in the dark.
Make sure that all your Unhooking equipment is in a nice clear opening close to the water, for when you catch them fish.
I used to also take a small first aid kit, with plasters and bandages, savlon etc in, it may not be you that injures himself, but i found it handy once or twice.
Any outer layers you take off before getting in to your sleeping bag, put them at the bottom of your bedchair under your sleeping bag, it will keep them warm and dry, nice and cosy when you put them back on in the morning.

I think the rest have already covered more than amply enough in the previous threads.

Oh, don't forget to swithch your alarms on, my mate went night fishing with 3 rods, and forgot to switch the middle one back on when he had recast the rod as his left hand rod had a run on it, and his attention switched to that rod.

Hope you have a great time :D

Cakey

Reaction score
I always think right somewhere to sleep first so bedchair ,sleeping bag, throw over,pillow and bivy.
then eats so cooker water cup etc etc
and if your on medication dont forget it !

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Keep warm
Keep dry
Pick an easily accessible peg
take a small radio and listen to it on very low if nervous to block out nocturnal noise
Fish...Don't just sleep

klik2change

Reaction score
Make sure you lay your campsite out in an accessible way and you know exactly where everything is - especially the unhooking gear. Have water ready to throw over your mat, and make sure you can see well enough to unhook fish quickly and easily.

I always say I will make a list of what to take - but then forget to make the list.

For some reason I often forget to take a cup!

supgen

Reaction score
thanks very much for the help guys, some food for thought there!

feels like im getting ready for a holiday with all these checklists and toothbrushes etc :D

unfortunately I don't have a bedchair... are they essential? and would some sort of static lamp make everything little easier?

cheers, J

S

Scott Whatmore

When it's dark try keeping it that way. Only put your head lamp on when you need to. Any constant light will attract a multitude of flying insects.

Get all your gear organised so you know where it is, put it back there when you've used it.

Most importantly... enjoy yourself!

Peter, What's an ICE number?

klik2change

Reaction score
unfortunately I don't have a bedchair... are they essential? and would some sort of static lamp make everything little easier?
The bedchair is what you sleep on, though it is possible, with difficulty, to use it as a chair as well. If you are a lightweight [unlike me] you could sleep on an ordinary camp bed from Argos. I have static torches and headtorches. I have this nagging idea that there is no such thing as too many torches. You will learn very quickly from experience!

I have one [cheap from Asda] that hangs on a bankstick next to the unhooking mat. I have one that hangs around my neck, and others in various other places. For all that, it is definitely best to avoid switching light on if at all possible!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What's an ICE number?

Scott,

It is the In Case of Emergency number that you can store at the top of your Contacts in your mobile phone.

In the event of a severe accident the Police and the Emergency Services will look for that number to contact your Next of Kin, or any other reliable person that you have chosen.

Take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

I insist that all my project staff at overseas locations have an ICE number in their mobile phones.

r1paul

Reaction score
A logical and simple idea but needless to say , I didn`t think of it either .
Cheers Peter . :)