worms

tonyb

Reaction score
many moons ago when i was a lad, my neighbour used to go fishing on the trent for Barbel with lobworms and used to catch lots at Beeston weir. Anyhoo, im about to try and catch my first barbel and so ive been doing a little research on tinternet and something i have noticed is, no one seems to use worms anymore for Barbel. any reason for this? Do you guys use worms?

Im asking cos my local river seems to be heavily fished with pellets, boilies and meat so i thought i'd try something more natural to get an edge.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Pellets and Boilies are more target specific whereas worms will catch everything that swims, but you might be on the next big comeback bait so why not give it a go.

Tight lines Tony.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You will catch on worms for sure, but like Rodney says you'll have a mixed bag of species - not a bad thing in my book but pellets and boilies will help you single out barbel and carp (and occasionally chub even when hair-rigged).

Also you will certainly find out if there is an eel population there, worms and meat on some rivers are snaffled by bootlace eels before any other fish get a look in.

Reaction score
Worms (either lobs or bunches of dendro) are worth a go mate, but if your first fish is an eel... change swims.

On one stretch of the Severn that I fish, there are 2 swims 40 yards apart (both produce good doubles)...

On the upstream swim, worms will produce eel after eel; on the downstream swim barbel confidently snaffle them up and not a sign of an eel.

Test it out, on pressurised stretches, it may give you an edge.

tonyb

Reaction score
cheers, that does make sense if your only targeting big barbel. Im going to give them a try for a few sessions to see what happens, its only a small river with a few known swims that seem to get hammered with boilies and pellets.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
cheers, that does make sense if your only targeting big barbel. Im going to give them a try for a few sessions to see what happens, its only a small river with a few known swims that seem to get hammered with boilies and pellets.
Natural baits like worm and slug could be the answer to wary fish if they see the usual suspects regularly.

Let us know how it goes tony.