Century Mk 1 Armalite

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to tell if the Century Armalite 1.75lb tc rod I've just bought is a MK1 or a Mk2?

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I was told that mk 1 had the weave on the inside of the blank, ie: look inside the spigot section, if their is no (kevlar?) weave then it is mk 2. The chap who runs anglers workshop told me this, if I remember correctly, however, his name escapes me right now!!

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding stupid, am I correct in assuming that the spigot is the male end, rather than the socket on the tip section?

Either way, can't see anything that resembles a weave of any description either on the male section or within the female section of the rod; guess that means it's a Mk2 which is not meant to be as good as the Mk 1.

What puzzles me is that the rod only has the words, "Armalite Century, Carbon Aramide, Made In England" on the butt section, which you would expect to see on the original; you'd expect the Mk2 and Mk3 to say that on the butt to differentiate them from the original.

It only has 6 rings which are all double legged with one leg whipped fore and one whipped aft; they look like fuji to me. The blank is awesome looking; it has a green tinge to it.

I paid £40 for it and it seems to have a really nice through action so it's no big deal if it is the less favoured Mk2. I'd be interested if anyone knows what the failings of the Mk2 were.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
I've emailed 'em; just waiting for a reply.

Used it tonight and had a nice barbel just shy of double figures; ****** ace!!! :)