pole cups on rods

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Whilst on holiday last week I was throwing some bread on to the water in the hopes of getting the carp feeding on the top, the bread was taken by the wind under an overhanging tree and the carp could be seen taking it as it passed under the branches touching the water.

I threw some more bread out and then crawled under the tree on the bankside and wacthed as 5 or 6 carp fought for the bait.I feed the carp for about 15 minutes and then set up my rod
It was a very tigth spot but I managed to get my rod into the swim and after about 6 attempts cast a bait into the feeding carp - I got a take straight away -The fight was short lived as the carp snagged my up but I got to thinking if I'd put one of the small pole cups that clip on to the pole rather than the large type I would have got the bait in place easier.

Since I got home I've tried my small pole cup and it fits on to my rod so I'll carry it with me in case I find a tight swim again - has any one else tried this?

slime monster

Reaction score
Crikey Mlud just how long are your rods? If you cant feed to the end of your rod ..and after all that is as far as cupping it in would take you chuck or catty the bread into the foliage and let it drop down to the edge of the tree

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
AAAH now i understand ...ok pot out the bait /rig using a pole with the rod in the rests and the bale arm open its cheating but what the hell

A great idea, i watched Kev Green do the exact same thing with his Carp rods when fishing tight to a Barge on a Canal for Carp.
He shipped his rig out with his Pole and even fed with the pole.
This really is a great tip.

klik2change

Reaction score
There was a guy I once met who did something similar to that. There was a tree on the lake, under which some of the carp used to hide. He stood on an adjacent corner of the lake, where his bivvy was, about 40 yards away, then cast his lead past the tree, on to the path behind it. He then walked round to the tree and attached his hooklength.

He had made an attachment to bolt on to the end of his landing net handle, using a small coal shovel. He put his hookbait, the lead, and a pile of feed - sweetcorn, maize, pellet or whatever - on the shovel, then pushed it right under the tree where the carp laid up, and tipped it in. He was doing something which was impossible even with a boat as the tree was too bushy for the boat to get close enough. Clever!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you use the pole cup.bale arm open method on a river,remember that as you ship out ,the line is still being pulled off by the current.You will get a big bow in the line, so watch out for overhanging branches downstream on your own bank.

slime monster

Reaction score
One thing I omitted to say M,Lud.
Using this method to place a rig /bait there is a danger of hooking into fish that can not be cleared of the snags before fouling up deep into them ,common sense must prevail and such "suicidal swims " avoided.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Thanks All

I was on holiday and only had rod and reel with me - the swim was under the tree so I had to crawl under the branches to get my rod in - I hooked a carp ( after several attempts to get the bait out) and the carp found the snags straight away - and that was that - it was free lined so no chance of the carp getting snagged up and dying - he swim was ruined after the 1st hook up, I knew this so moved on