Base mix ingredients

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hi, all bait makers. I have been making my own base mixes for some years now with mixed results. There is lots of info out there telling you what to put in but I cant seem to find any info on why. Anyone got any ideas? E.g. Lots of recipes call for Soya flour or Semolina, what is there purpose, apart from just being a bulk carrier. etc, etc. Any help will be most gratefully recieved and appreciated.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
A BEGINNERS GUIDE TO BOILIE MAKING

STANDARD BASE INGREDIENTS

SEMOLINA. This is a great carbohydrate (energy) & an excellent carrier for flavours. It is a very cheap ingredient, which is readily available at most supermarkets or health food shops. You can buy white or brown (wholemeal). You can use semolina mixed with one other ingredient like Soya flour and you have the basis of a boilie, In truth a lot of ‘ready made’s consist of semolina and Soya flour.

SOYA FLOUR There are three main types, Soya isolate (85% protein), Soya flour (50% protein) and full fat Soya (37% protein). High in oil content they are another excellent flavour carrier. As a 50/50 semolina/Soya flour, add a flavour and a little sweetener and you have a simple boilie.

I hope this helps to explain why they use them.

Semolina is high in Energy, and Soya Flour is high in Protein and Oil's, and they are both excellent flavour carriers.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The base mix I have made does not include semolina. Just wanted to know why it is included. The mix I have been developing was coming out to sticky and heavy and was looking for lighter ingredients. Seemed to have solved the issue by using more milk powder. But I am always looking for ways to improve both my knowledge and my bait. P.s. I dont buy packet base mixes just because I enjoy the added challenge and reward of catching on my own bait.

richiekelly

Reaction score
semoina will help the bait harden as will blood hemaglobin which also turns the bait a darker colour, if your bait is to heavy whey powder may help shrimp meal is also a good ingredient but be carefull how much you use or the baits will float i have used baits with all these ingredients for years with good results there are very few commercialy produced baits that do not contain semolina and soya, i use the full fat soya as the oils in it help during rolling

Foxy

Reaction score
Dont use to much milk or fishmeal as your bait will float. Keep searching the net and you will find plenty of DIY basemixs, PM me if your still struggling mate

quickcedo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! Great to see so much help. Found some very helpfull sites and with a bit of messing with my mix have finally got it to behave itself. All I need to do is catch on it. Fingers crossed coz I am well aware that good theory doesn't make a good bait. Will let you know how it goes. Cheers Mark.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Tried out new bait for first time today on a small commercial lake. Had 8 carp and 3 bream. bumped a further 6 fish off. So all in all a promissing start. Thanks again for the help.