How does one judge who is a truly great angler?

dezza

Reaction score
What yardstick is applied?

Is a great angler judged by the fish he catches?

No I don't think so, there has got to be something more than that. Lets face it, truly large fish are not all that common and not everyone has access to them.

Or perhaps a great angler is judged by how many articles he writes or how famous he is?

Not that either; I have met some truly great anglers who never craved the limelight. In fact they wouldn't even thank you for mentioning them in an article. But one thing I will say is that these characters are one-on-one types who will often share their knowledge with you on a personal level.

But what about the writers? A top class angling writer is able to entertain as well as instruct. He need not by a great catcher of fish of course.

But what about you, what makes you class certain anglers as great?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
For me it is an Angler who can inspire others to take up the sport of Angling, makes it look enjoyable and can give clear and easy instructions for others to follow.
Has the time to treat other anglers with respect and isn't scared to share his methods with others.
Has a desire and passion not just for the sport he loves but everything else that goes along with it, the environment, wildlife countryside etc etc and generally just appreciates the beauty that is the sport of fishing.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A difficult one that Ron, so many facets to take into account. There are those who on a personal level advise and encourage others. Then there are others who by skillfull writing reach a far greater audience. Then there are some who unstintingly give of their time to demonstrate and instruct, with no thought of payment.

So for me the criteria I judge by, is that the great angler ,is the guy who puts back into the sport of angling as much as he is able to give from the knowledge he has gained over the years.

For at the end of the day , to inspire others is to perpetuate the sport.

dezza

Reaction score
someone who catches more than others on a level playing field.

Obtaining a level playing field in angling is virtually impossible. In other sports it's possible to measure 100 metres or how high a pole can be set etc.

But how do you do that in angling?

To give you an idea of what I mean:

When **** Walker caught his record carp he had sitting next to him one of the greatest and most skilfull all round anglers of the day: Peter J Thomas. Walker himself often expressed just how good PJT was, especially how much better than he. Peter's identical bait was only a yard or two away from Walker's

But it was Walker who caught the fish.

There is still the element of luck in angling.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Obtaining a level playing field in angling is virtually impossible. In other sports it's possible to measure 100 metres or how high a pole can be set etc.

But how do you do that in angling?

To give you an idea of what I mean:

When **** Walker caught his record carp he had sitting next to him one of the greatest and most skilfull all round anglers of the day: Peter J Thomas. Walker himself often expressed just how good PJT was, especially how much better than he. Peter's identical bait was only a yard or two away from Walker's

But it was Walker who caught the fish.

There is still the element of luck in angling.

Absolutely Ron, but IMO over a prolonged period the really good angler would catch more from the water than an angler with less talent..

I think many of the attributes others have hilighted are traits of great men, I don't think that neccesarily makes them great anglers. Les Webber for instance must surely deserve the term 'great', and he's an angler. I'm guessing that his angling talent is probably just average though.

All the same I'd say Les is a great angler.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ron, it can't be denied that luck plays a minor role in angling. But I'm as sure as I can be, that a truly great angler would not base his stance on luck alone. There may be occasions when even a true great (awful term) would welcome a pinch of luck. A vastly experienced angler usually has at his fingertips a whole repertoire of techniques and methods to call on at times when the fishing is hard going. We all know individuals of that calibre. In my own case when much younger, I remember vividly thinking, I hope I catch something.

But as years go by, that changes and is replaced by, rather than hoping to, expecting to. But I say this with no arrogance, it's just a honest statement of fact. I put that down in my own case from confidence developed over many, many years. There are far better anglers out there than myself, and I would bet that were they pressed, would say much the same thing. So yes luck, plays a role in angling, but only a minor one.

But by definition luck is a random happening. Consistency however in angling demonstrates more than luck.

dezza

Reaction score
Yes I agree with what both of you say.

Here is a list of who I consider to be the greatest British anglers during the past 100 years.

FM Halford
GEM Skues
JW Martin
JHR Bazley
HT Sheringham
EC Alston
BB (Denys Watkins-Pitchford)
Richard Walker
Dennis Pye
Derek Gibson
Fred Wagstaffe
Billy Lane
Eric Hodson
Graham Marsden
Ray Webb
Bob Church
Peter Stone
Rod Hutchinson

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think its important not to confuse greatest with best known.

I'm surprised say Peter Stone & Wilson are not on your list but BB is.Fabulous old boy but he was the first to admit he was no angler.

But everybody will have different views.Wilson drives me nuts but there's no doubt he raised the profile of angling enormously and is quite good at it too.Does that make him great.Dunno...personally I cant see past that bliddy red poloneck

Reaction score
Using the degree to which they've influenced me in their writings or in person as a yardstick, my list would go long the lines of:

Nibs
Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Peter Stone
Jack Hargreaves
**** walker
Fred J Taylor
Graham Marsden
Barrie Rickards
Rod Hutchinson
Geoff Pamplin
Eric Edwards
Dave Lumb
Gary Knowles
Dave Horton
Peter Andrews

dezza

Reaction score
I too have thought about Peter Stone a great deal. I feel honored to have had him as a close friend for over 40 years.

Go on then I will include him - a marvellous character.

Reaction score
Peter Andre ? Does he fish ?

I believe he once hooked an old trout from Essex.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

I too have thought about Peter Stone a great deal. I feel honored to have had him as a close friend for over 40 years.

Go on then I will include him - a marvellous character.

I once read in a book that Jack Hargreaves asked Peter Stone to catch, in order, three different species from a river with legering techniques for the cameras. Apparently Peter did it within no time at all, demonstrating how subtle changes in the terminal presentation could be used to target specific species.

He was probably my greatest literary mentor, I hung on his every word.

dezza

Reaction score
I once picked up Pete Stone at his little house in Wolvercote near Oxford. We set out to fish The Bypass Pit near Witney.

As we walked towards our swims, Peter was acknowleged by every other angler on the bank. he stopped occasionally to chat with the odd person, and advised a youngster, who caught a nice tench later on, about depths and grounbait.

This to me was a sign of true greatness!

Come on then, tell me if the stars of today would give the time of day to the ordinary angler?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I once picked up Pete Stone at his little house in Wolvercote near Oxford. We set out to fish The Bypass Pit near Witney.

As we walked towards our swims, Peter was acknowleged by every other angler on the bank. he stopped occasionally to chat with the odd person, and advised a youngster, who caught a nice tench later on, about depths and grounbait.

Come on then, tell me if the stars of today would give the time of day to the ordinary angler?

Ron - it's a different world these days and not always for the better -

I would say every one has their own idea of GREATNESS
For me one of the greats(Never met him but would love to) is Chris Yates only for his use of old tackle and if he truely uses it because he like it and not because it's become his trade mark

Reaction score

People are just as friendly nowadays Ron. I can relate to how you are kind of stuck back in your era, I'm sure we all are to some extent, but I think the reality is that the modern greats are even greater given the equipment, improved knowledge and general advances angling has made.

I've spoken to quite a few of the top modern guys and, curiously given recent events, the only one I've ever found who was unapproachable and a little up himself was John Wilson.

dezza

Reaction score
Matt Hayes,

He can do a bit of everything when it comes to fishing, i wouldn't mind meeting him for a day or two fishing.

Hope you won't be shocked when you see the invoice!
:wh

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

People are just as friendly nowadays Ron. I can relate to how you are kind of stuck back in your era, I'm sure we all are to some extent, but I think the reality is that the modern greats are even greater given the equipment, improved knowledge and general advances angling has made.

I've spoken to quite a few of the top modern guys and, curiously given recent events, the only one I've ever found who was unapproachable and a little up himself was John Wilson.

By the way Chris, show me the quantum leaps that have been made in angling in the past 20 years say. The only thing I can think of is fluorocarbon and braided lines. Some reels are not as good as they were 20 years ago. We certainly had quality carbon rods then and from a species point of view, we probably had better fishing for certain of them, roach particularly.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

And by the way, what is my era?

I am still fishing regularly today. Perhaps I'm not travelling as far as I used to do and perhaps I am not doing the sort of fishing which involves heavy lifting and carrying lots of gear. But I am still fishing make no mistake about that!