Notts club books

T

Trent Jim

not content with the vast array of water which has been available to me under my Notts AA book I am considering memberships of notts piscatorials and nottingham and district fed. I was wondering if anyone here has been,is, knows a member of any of these and if they have any info about whether membership is open or by invitation and which waters are opened up by these memberships, Im interested in the fed for the trent at Burton Joyce. I've also got an interest in Bingham AC because of the Gunthorpe pits - (are they affiliated to the fed?)
anyone who could offer a bit of info about any of this or alternatives in notts/southern derbys would be appreciated,
cheers
Jim

D

Dave Barringham

As far as I am aware, you need to be a member of a local club to get into Notts Fed. However, it is a few years since I have fished, due to commitments to studying, but as I finish this year I will be looking for Trent clubs to join.

I am not sure if things have changed, but up until at least 1997 the only way you could get a Fed book was by affiliation to an angling club. This is run on a different basis to Notts Anglers, which admits members on an individual basis.

Notts Anglers probably offers better value, and I find its waters well looked after, and offering plenty of choice. The Association seems very proactive in acquiring new waters.

The last club I fished with was Midland Angling Society, which as well as having its own waters on the Trent at Caythorpe and Hoveringham, is affiliated to the Fed.

Nottingham Piscatorials is a different proposition altogether. From my own experience (albeit a few years back), there is a long waiting list with a substantial initial joining fee.

Please bear in mind that this information is dated. I would advise you to ring Gerry's of Nottingham for more up to date information on joining clubs, and the lease on various stretches of the river.

T

Trent Jim

Cheers Dave,
I agree that notts anglers offers good value and that their waters are well looked after, (sometimes a little overmanaged for me) - Thats part of the reason for looking for another book - I often like the run down pools and overgrown banks that can offer great sport sometimes. Cheers for the Midland AS tip, might have to look into that one,
Maybe we'll cross lines sometime on the mighty Trent,
Jim

D

darryl rogers

you could try the long eaton fed or the long eaton victoria books they both cost ?10and have areas on the trent and soar plus earwash canel and ponds

D

Dave Barringham

Darryl, you seem to know your way around my neck of the woods. I moved into the Long Eaton area in 1997, but because of starting at university, I have had to pack in my fishing for the past five years. However, I will be finishing towards the end of June, and I will be looking forward to wetting a line close to where I live.

My old stamping groung used to be the middle Trent, particularly those waters run by the Notts Fed and Notts Anglers, and I got to know these areas very well.

The thing is since moving to Long Eaton, I have very little idea of what the fishing round here offers. I am primarily interested in river fishing, and would love to catch a 5lb+ chub. Any ideas?

T

Trent Jim

Dave,
Some v good chub in the river where it runs alongside attenborough gravel pits - fished it a couple of times last season with flavoured meat hard on bottom, half a dozen good chub with four topping 4lbs, one of which was a shade under 5 - a bit of dedication here would produce results i'm sure.
Beeston weir produces VERY good fish until the schools break up, it gets a bit overfished then but is also worth a visit in the winter - the BIGGEST chub react very well to legered sea deadbaits - only a matter of time till i get a 7 using this tactic

Thanks Darryl,
?10 has got to be good value what are their ponds like?
Jim

D

darryl rogers

if you want nice chub the trent at long eaton to the outlet of cranfleet canel has got a lot to offer also the trent down from colick or holme sluices is good. the ponds on offer from long eaton fed at sawley has a good head of bream plus tench and carp to 18lb,long eaton vic has a good pond in long eaton with carp to 25lb tench to 10lb,another good book is pride of derby at ?35 this has the trent,derwent and river dove plus 12 miles of trent and mersey canel two gravel pits of junction 24 m1 4 ponds scattered around

D

darryl rogers

if you live in long eaton you could give the river earwash a try you may be suprised has i have had barbel to 3lb 7oz and chub to 2lb out plus it is free fishing and just before it joins the attenbourgh gravels pike to 12lb

D

Dave Barringham

Thanks for your input Darryl and Jim.

I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific when you mentioned the river behind Attenborough pits, Jim.

I know that at the upstream (Long Eaton) end, the pits start where the Notts AA stretch meets the Long Eaton Vic water, and that the downstream (Chilwell) end is at the other end of the pits (near Barton Island, and owned by a Mr. Taylor I believe), but as you can appreciate, this is an awful long strretch of the Trent. Could you advise of access points, whether I should head upstream or downstteam etc?

D

darryl rogers

from barton island to beeston weir is mr taylors water,you can access the trent from barton lane or from the members of notts aa car park these are good pegs for barbel as well as chub