Pellets or Luncheon Meat?

Old Nick

Reaction score
Whilst out fishing my local river today I saw several good sized carp and got to thinking about a better bait for catching them.

I was fishing maggott and corn, and although the corn caught one nice little carp, there was no other action on that bait all morning, and the maggots were producing roach and perch.

I thought that either Luncheon meat or fish flavoured pellets would be a good starting point to target the better size fish, but which one to start with? the stretch is lightly fished so I doubt if the fish will have come across too many pellets, and I am pretty sure that the ground bait I am using is attracting them into the swim (fish were patrolling and jumping around the ground baited areas, just not taking the hook bait!)

What would your advise be?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try both meat and pellets but I'd give bread a goe as well.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about bread! flake or paste?

I'd use chunks of bread off a plain loaf. I'd try it ledgerd and floating. Don't forget dog buiscuites for floaters n'all. Sweetcorn might go down ok with em also.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Tried sweetcorn today and picked a small one but nothing else so don't think corn is the way forward, shame really as thats my No1 bait usually!

klik2change

Reaction score
You could try dyeing or flavouring the corn.

I would definitely give bread a go. I've had a lot of success with bread when fishing for carp. You might like to try zig rigging it. Or you can use a dog biscuit or two to make a cocktail popup with the corn, or some maggots. Chum are very buoyant, even when soaked through, though they dont last more than half an hour or so.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Or even better still, good ole bronze maggots with curry powder in them which has brought me a huge sucess on the Trent on numerous occasions.
Cheeers,

William

Last edited:

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
seafood!

Prawns will pull many a bonus fish, as will mussels. mussels are extremely cheap really, and a couple of handfuls a day over a few days will soon have the fish revisitiing the area regularly.

for what its worth, while trying to tempt some river carp near me, i have observed the fish taking prawns and mussels quite readily, just struggling to conceal my rig well enough in the extremely clear water. they keep doing me, i can sit there and watch the carp and tench take every bait in the area and ignore the one on the hook/hair. must get round to buying some incognito!

richiekelly

Reaction score
if the stretch is lightly fished try prebaiting this will get them used to finding the bait there and give them confidence i find that if the fish are wary of corn it pays to dye it a dark colour

Old Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone, I think, bread, marine pellets, and coloured sweetcorn should be the way forward!

issimmo

Reaction score
Hi Nick, I would go for meat in this case. Why? Coz I think you'll tempt them easyer with it, knowing how much of it goes in your rivers.
And baiting with it will bring them nearer your hookbait. What I do is, I take 2-3 cans of luncheon meat and put them through a groundbait riddle, then mix it with some brown crumb or a groundbait. I've had some really good fish with this method and it worked better then the pellet approach. Sweetcorn works too, but I've found that you can fill them real quick with it; and there are times when they don't even look at it. But not with luncheon meat.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Judging by the progress so far today, I think your right! Not a twitch since 7.00 this morning! Doh....