Best recent innovation

quattro

Reaction score
What would you think are the most useful recent innovations in the angling scene?
To me, the Stotz and Stotta weight sytem, along with the Levapiomba shot remover have made putting shot on and taking it off so much easier for me.
And the Slammo disgorger, brilliant:)

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Not recent inovations, but probably the most useful for me are the sidewinder bite indicator, instant anti-reverse on reels and the breakaway leads for beachcasting.

dezza

Reaction score
Wow, the fixed spool reel goes back to about 1909 - the Illingworth which was developed from the textile industry. Make no mistake it was a heck of an innovation as was nylon monofilament - discovered by Carruthers of Du Pont.

If I think about it, these are the two most important innovations in angling in the past 100 years.

Recent innovations include fluorocarbon and braided lines of various types.

By the way a lot of brilliant materials were not innovated as such they were discovered by accident.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
obviously "best", is a purely subjective view, but i find the preston speed mould quite a useful, new, piece of kit. i know garbolinos was out first, but the click system on prestons made it much easier to use.

i am also quite a fan of the korum quick change bead.

both are simple ideas, but they make life significantly easier on the bank, for certain fishing styles

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Reliable low diameter lines is what I'd plump for. I can remember the disasters of the early 90's with unexplained breakages, dodgy knot strength, temper tantrums, etc.

It's now possible to fish for large fish with some degree of confidence with 11lb line that's the same thickness as 6lb maxima.

klik2change

Reaction score
Baitrunners

Carbon fibre rods

Nylon monofilament

Chemical sharpening of hooks

Korum seamless hooks

Fishing chairs [aaaaahhhh.....]

Philip

Reaction score
I guess it depends how far you go back but how about unhooking mats ?

...done alot for fish and the image of angling I would think...

slime monster

Reaction score
You have to be an old un to have experienced using hooks that were blunted by putting maggots on them when river fishing and using ridiculously low b/s line as the optimum line was like rope ,the technological improvements in line and hooks has to be the best thing since sliced bread .

strut5a

Reaction score
Waggler floats with different colour quick change inserts. Brilliant for changing light conditions.

dezza

Reaction score
Having good hooks is not a recent innovation. In the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign, Redditch produced wonderful hooks that were perfectly tempered with neat eyes and small barbs near the point. But these hooks were individually made by craftsmen and cost much more in many cases than the average person could afford.

Then hookmaking in terms of quality went into decline. Even Alcocks of Redditch quality went right down, until the advent of the chemically sharpened hook made in Japan by such companies as Kamasan and Tiemco.

Today, thank goodness, hooks have reached an acceptable degree of quality.

Cakey

Reaction score
Ron I cant remember the last time I use all ten hooks out of a packet ,I always find one thats faulty in one way or another..............