Peanuts: Do we really need to use 'human grade' ones for bait?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I say no.

We can buy a 1.8k sealed plastic bag of peanuts in almost any pet shop or garden centre intended for bird feeders. If these nuts are considered safe enough to use on birds, I suggest they are good enough to use for bait.

Am I wrong? If so, convince me.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I found this on a Carp website.

Peanuts

This particle has been banned on many waters. This was due to bad publicity following many carp deaths some years back when a batch of bacteria infected nuts were introduced to waters in vast quantities. They are also lacking in some proteins and vitamins, and if carp begin to feed to exclusively on them, they will suffer health problems. However, if used sensibly, they can make a very good carp bait. Make sure that you only purchase the human grade type as the ones intended for bird tables may be of a poorer quality and contain a toxic fungus. The safest way to decide is to think "would I eat these" If the answer is no, then why should the carp. This is actually a rule I apply to a lot of my baits, including boilies. Chocolate malt are my favourite, but watch out for the scopex dipped ones!
Peanuts must be prepared by soaking for 24 hours and then boiling for 15 - 20 minutes. You can add flavours as above if you wish.

Why the Nut that is Not a Nut Can Be Dangerous

For starters, the peanut (arachis hypogea) is actually not a nut at all. It is a bean -- and a peculiar one at that. It is part of the legume family, and while most of the beans found in this family grow in pods on sprawling, climbing vines, the peanut plant is a lonely bush that matures its pods underneath the ground in a root system.

It is primarily due to the peanuts' direct contact with the soil that they have become harmful, and even dangerous, to your health.

While actual nuts like almonds and walnuts have strong, hard shells that protect them, the legume known as a peanut has soft and porous skin. When the environment surrounding the peanut becomes warm, humid and wet -- as it does in most regions of the U.S. where peanuts are commonly grown -- a fungal growth occurs.

The fungus itself is not dangerous, but the poison it releases, known as "aflatoxin," is. This cancer-causing agent attacks the liver and is one of the more deadly food-borne toxins in existence.

Largely because of the regions they're commonly grown in and the fact that they're relatively easy for pests to attack and penetrate, peanuts are also one of the crops most heavily sprayed with pesticides. So the standard peanut packs a double-whammy risk to your health.

But don't mourn another convenient, tasty and otherwise nutritious food icon being shot to pieces -- there are healthy solutions for young and old peanut-lovers alike...

It sounds to me that it is more the quantity of the grade of nut that you introduce rather than 1 non grade human peanut on a hair rig that is the concern.
If you use Human Grade Peanuts, and they're just not catching the fish you can always eat them instead.

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
We can buy a 1.8k sealed plastic bag of peanuts in almost any pet shop or garden centre intended for bird feeders. If these nuts are considered safe enough to use on birds, I suggest they are good enough to use for bait.

The latest thinking agrees with you. The scientists [not sure who] have now come to the conclusion that nuts do not need to cooked, soaked, or anything. The suggestion was, I think, that no particles need to be cooked or soaked as nothing hangs around inside the fish, carp at any rate, because they have no stomachs. this was in an Angling Times article a few weeks ago by everyone's mate Greg Whitehead. I cant check now as I have thrown the magazine in the bin

issimmo

Reaction score
I think all this hype about "human grade" food for carp is just a strategy of marketing of the bait industry. It's like, guys don't buy this nuts coz they're cheap, buy them from us coz they're expensive and "human grade" therefor only this is safe to use.
I've heard many times the statement that we should never use uncooked nuts coz they swell in the carp's gut. Now I don't say anyone should use uncooked nuts, but they go through the carp's gut almost undameged, some times in one piece, just as they were swalowed. I think it's to much, and many of us have started to see what's hidding behind those messages.
Cheers, Mihai!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I agree, unless you are 100% sure that the bait you are using is definitely not going to cause your chosen quarry any harm, why take the risk.
Especially if you know for sure that their are baits out there that work just as well, and have a proven safety track record.

klik2change

Reaction score
I agree, unless you are 100% sure that the bait you are using is definitely not going to cause your chosen quarry any harm, why take the risk. Especially if you know for sure that their are baits out there that work just as well, and have a proven safety track record.

I agree. The risk of using poor quality nuts is not necessary. And they might as well be cooked. In any case, I would think cooked nuts would be easier to use. I havent seen many examples of bait companies selling prepared nuts

Cakey

Reaction score
the problem with peanuts they fill the fish up very quick and then as Klik says they get poo'ed out the next day almost whole
so then along comes mr angler and another lot goes in so now theres twice as much sitting on the lake bottom this can keep the fish full up for yonks making them harder and harder to catch !

J K

Reaction score
After reading the previous thread about Peanut toxins where it mentioned an article in the Angling Times, I did a search on their site. I didn't find a lot about Peanuts but this article about preservatives in Boilies makes disturbing reading.

noknot

Reaction score
In all the years I have fished for Carp with peanuts and other particle baits, I have never seen a peanut, Tiger nut or maize passed whole!

Always crushed up by the throat teeth, which is then passed out as a pulp, also cooking of particle baits will release the oils and amino's that make them so attractive to the Carp.

klik2change

Reaction score
I have never seen a peanut, Tiger nut or maize passed whole!

It might be that any whole peanuts have simply not been found by the carp. I remember Brian Skoyles telling me that carp can easily become totally preoccupied by peanuts, to the extent they wont look at anything else. The problem is that they are not a carpy balanced diet. Some fisheries take the same view about tigers and have banned them too. At least, [so brian insisted] boilies can provide a complete food source. Perhaps whole peanuts signify happy carp with balanced diets? :)

Cakey

Reaction score
I had two 10lb + carp that I keep in a huge tank and peanuts and tigers passed through between 3 and 5 times before being digested
sweetcorn was another weird one the next day all the sweetcorn skins would be floating around the tank

Bill Cox

Reaction score
I had two 10lb + carp that I keep in a huge tank and peanuts and tigers passed through between 3 and 5 times before being digested
sweetcorn was another weird one the next day all the sweetcorn skins would be floating around the tank

Whats weird about that there's sweetcorn skins in my **** and i have a far superior digestive system then the carp!! At least it's safe to assume that some goodness must have been obtained from the corn as the pulp was ground out of the skins.

I cook about 20 peanuts at a time for my hook baits the rest i grind up uncooked with a coffee grinder and make into a stickie paste with sugar and groundnut oil, pressed around the lead with a peanut or two on the hair seems to work for me.

Tigers i cook but keep crisp to snap then i ferment them in sugar syrup for several months.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
After reading the previous thread about Peanut toxins where it mentioned an article in the Angling Times, I did a search on their site. I didn't find a lot about Peanuts but this article about preservatives in Boilies makes disturbing reading.

Here's the problem. Almost anything can be harmful when used incorrectly. Despite the 'grade'. Today I fished a water with more 'bans' than I have ever known, no boilies, no nuts, no pellets, no this, no that... it went on forever. Some clot points out that too many oily pellets can be harmful and the next thing you know its a 'no pellets!' ban, with the caveat that it's better to be safe than sorry. Well in that case maybe we ought not use hooks because every time I prick myself it gets infected so it must happen to the fish too so perhaps it's better that we ban hooks.
The old saying that if you sling enough s*hit some of it will stick - well, in fishing that is especially true. I simply cannot believe that peanuts - or anything else - have to be 'human grade'. The supposed science that supports the argument against nuts is nothing of the sort, it's all based on ifs, buts and maybes. Well I can do that too... If they were harmful, why haven't the RSPB and RSPCA campaigned to stop people using them on pets and birds?

klik2change

Reaction score
I simply cannot believe that peanuts - or anything else - have to be 'human grade'.

I am sure it's all about carpers and their pet fishies.
Geoff, do you happen to know if there has ever been a thread about the boilie preservatives that JK's link points at?

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Today I fished a water with more 'bans' than I have ever known,

There used to be a carp puddle somewhere near Withernsea that had a ban on red maggots of all things...! :p

Last edited:

Bill Cox

Reaction score
Certain dyes that were used years ago to dye maggots were really quite obnoxious. Bronze maggots in particular were banned from lots of waters.:cool:

klik2change

Reaction score
Yeah, that was quite well known I think. But was there ever a dye for RED maggots? They are naturally red arent they?

Reaction score
I simply cannot believe that peanuts - or anything else - have to be 'human grade'. The supposed science that supports the argument against nuts is nothing of the sort, it's all based on ifs, buts and maybes. Well I can do that too... If they were harmful, why haven't the RSPB and RSPCA campaigned to stop people using them on pets and birds?

My thoughts exactly. Why has no one else made this link? And you don't have to soak them and boil them before feeding to pets and birds. Cakey?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
For those who really don't know, the colour of the food maggots eat dictate the colour they turn - so dye their food and they change colour. Not everyone knows that.