Small rivers, most important bit of tackle?

preston96

Reaction score
I have just come back from a long weekend's fishing in the Wye valley ,........the barbel didn't want to play, but my nipper managed to catch a lovely 5lb 8oz Lugg chub..............i have fished the place for 35yrs and only had two that just made 5lb from there,(plenty of 4's!) this was his first session!!..........he is still hitchhiking back home ;)

My brother in law joined me on a fishspotting walk before an evenings fishing on a low and clear Lugg, he used to match fish at a decent level but hasn't fished seriously for years.

Anyway.......large areas of the river looked devoid of fish to him and indeed large areas were devoid!.........but once i gave him my polaroids and pointed him to a likely swim a whole new world opened up to him and we spotted at least 6 barbel and a fair few chub.

I love small rivers, they teach me so much and i can then try to apply what i learn to bigger rivers.

The most important bit of tackle in my mind for such a situation are those polariod glasses......i didn't catch any of those barbel this time, a suicidal chub recked the swim.......but i now know where to look again.

What do you think the most important bit of kit is for a given situation?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Paul. Polarized glasses are an indispensible bit of kit.

I got my first pair back in 1964, and have never been without them since. For as long as I can remember, close mates refer to me as the man with no eyes!!

It's no exaggeration to say, without them I couldn't fish. Can't say why, but my preference is for amber lenses.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depends on whether your night fishing...polaroids ain't much use in the dark !
A torch would be pretty handy though lol.

preston96

Reaction score

We were going to fish into the dark Tigger........they helped us to decide where! :wh

Old Nick

Reaction score
An extendable landing net handle - Not being able to reach the water properly from the bank can seriously limit your choice of swims, and can be quite dangerous, as I found out on Saturday when I nearly slid in!

preston96

Reaction score
An extendable landing net handle - Not being able to reach the water properly from the bank can seriously limit your choice of swims, and can be quite dangerous, as I found out on Saturday when I nearly slid in!

That is a good one Oldun, there are many swims i find that demand that long net handle.

If i had of hooked the barb i was after last night i would have had to have slid 10ft down a shear bank on to a small footing, i was roped up and felt in control, but sometimes that long handle is a must.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I reckon err...mmm...some bait would be good, then a hook, some line, a reel, a rod and it goes on and on and on till your weighted down with that much you have to invest in a wheelbarrow and a van or estate car to get there with all that bloody gear. I'm sweatin now thinkin about it lol.

preston96

Reaction score
i reckon err...mmm...some bait would be good, then a hook, some line, a reel, a rod and it goes on and on and on till your weighted down with that much you have to invest in a wheelbarrow and a van or estate car to get there with all that bloody gear. I'm sweatin now thinkin about it lol.

lol ;)...........................................

darrengeorge

Reaction score
I agree with the previously mentioned items.

To add to the discussion though, I think a small shoulder bag, such as a game bag, is handy as it limits the amount of gear that can be carried, enabling a more mobile approach.

Also velcro rod bands for lashing net and rod rests to a made up rod to make carrying easier.

Centrepin - why not!

None of the above will catch you more fish, just (arguably?) make it more enjoyable :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Paul, have you ever fished the Lugg in or near Leintwardine ? A m8 of mine used to have a pub on the bridge there and had his own little stretch of the river running along the beer garden. I wish I'd gone down there fishing as well as just visiting as it's supposed to be a great little river. He's left the pub now so that's banjaxed it for me.

preston96

Reaction score
Hey Paul, have you ever fished the Lugg in or near Leintwardine ? A m8 of mine used to have a pub on the bridge there and had his own little stretch of the river running along the beer garden. I wish I'd gone down there fishing as well as just visiting as it's supposed to be a great little river. He's left the pub now so that's banjaxed it for me.

Yep, i have fished around there at sometime, probably had a pint pulled by your mate.........it is still a great little river.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Darrengeorge,

You're a mindreader mate, I'd just thought how things have changed. When the likes of Ron, Tag Barnes, I and a few others used to fish the Yorkshire rivers for Barbel and Chub. The last thing we wanted was a mountain of gear, so everything was pared to the minimum to enable us to be ultra mobile. Everything other than rod and landing net was carried in a commando type rucksack, with small chair strapped on. This allowed us to cover lots of water, establishing productive areas and locating fish.

Apparently, mobility is not a prime consideration these days eh!!

klik2change

Reaction score
I havent fished a small river for a few years now. Nevertheless I bought my Korum ruckbag for just that next time. I would be very good for piking as well.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un

that all depends on the colour of the lenses ,yellow (not amber) lenses are excellent in low light situations

one important piece of equipment is something comfortable too sit on ! i use a old galaxy seat box cushion which is fitted with a shoulder strap ,it also doubles as a unhooking mat.and simply carried over my shoulder accross my back ,i also use a stool which is light but sturdy .

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I recently bought a chub rucksack and it's brilliant for river sessions. It's so easy to carry around and doesn't put you off moving swims like a big bag can. Also I don't feel like a moron sat on the underground with it and my new small rod quiver!

Robert Woods

Reaction score
The most important tackle for small river roving is what you leave at home...!!! Go through kit and cut down on everything. I have a small German Flectarn rucksac to carry my gear, two small bungees on top clips carry unhooking mat, two small B&Q boxes for barbel & chub fishing, gortex pants in bottom, gortex coat in flap and take small box of feeders. "Less you carry the more you enjoy fishing"