pressured waters: HNV vs natural bait

supgen

Reaction score
I was pondering on my last outing, how likely I was to catch if I tried natural baits? at first I used sweetcorn, meat, and pellet to no avail.... then a quick change onto HNV boilies did the trick, two carp.

my question is, when pressured waters get 'tired' of the usual baits, and most of the guys are having success on a decent boilie, would a carp turn its nose up at say, a big juicy lobworm and stay on the boilies?

there also is the possibilty of natural flavoured boilies.
A lot of money can be spent on buying high quality carp fodder to get the right result. And i'm no millionaire but I love to fish.

also has anyone cast a lobworm 100yards before? :p

so natural bait or HNV bait?

Cakey

Reaction score
I find them just as instant as boilies in a lot of places
In fact we know of a lake in France where they climb the banks once they know you have tigers with you

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The problem with lobworm is that it's not selective enough. You are likely to catch roach or perch instead of carp.
If you want to go down the natural route - how about trying cockles? Excellent bait that carp like but smaller fish are less likely to snaffle.

supgen

Reaction score
I cant see a roach getting a full one down, but granted with a perch.

How do you rate cockles? I was thinking more along the lines of food naturally available to the carp, so they would instantly notice the bait as a decent food source and also have confidence in accepting it.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I've had 12 oz roach on a #6 hook and lobworm, when they want it they'll 'ave it.
Particles ok on your water? Or, less likely to be allowed, peanuts?

supgen

Reaction score
they didnt say anything about peanuts :D particles tend to attract the smaller silver fish though.

must try peanuts and tigers this year.

I remember reading a carp mag once it had an ad in it for some natural bait company, the boilies even had insects etc stuck in them? anyone remember? was it concept or did it really work?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Lobworms are not really a "natural" bait for carp, sure they exist naturally, as do maggots, but they surely do not play a part in the normal diet of a carp. They are more likely to come across a boilie than a lob worm. As far as I am aware the main natural food they eat is bloodworm.

supgen

Reaction score
I suppose your not wrong there! perhaps I should concentrate more on flavours rather than actual bait, i.e. green lipped mussel, bloodworm, elderberry etc I've seen a few bait companies doing these sorts of things

Frothey

Reaction score
I was pondering on my last outing, how likely I was to catch if I tried natural baits? at first I used sweetcorn, meat, and pellet

how are sweetcorn, meat and pellet natural baits? and how is a pellet any more natural than a fishmeal boilie?

I suppose your not wrong there! perhaps I should concentrate more on flavours rather than actual bait, i.e. green lipped mussel, bloodworm, elderberry etc I've seen a few bait companies doing these sorts of things

again, how will a carp know what a green lipped mussel or elderberry taste like - and unless you are using the real thing, a flavour wont taste anything like the "real thing" anyway.

supgen

Reaction score
how are sweetcorn, meat and pellet natural baits? and how is a pellet any more natural than a fishmeal boilie?

again, how will a carp know what a green lipped mussel or elderberry taste like - and unless you are using the real thing, a flavour wont taste anything like the "real thing" anyway.

did you read the quote? I stated that I had'nt used natural baits, but I had used sweetcorn, meat and pellets.

green lipped mussels are freshwater mussels, naturally occuring in lakes, and elderberry trees frequently line the banks of water sources.

how about extracts then? they are from the real thing so they must taste vaugely similar.

preston96

Reaction score
did you read the quote? I stated that I had'nt used natural baits, but I had used sweetcorn, meat and pellets.

green lipped mussels are freshwater mussels, naturally occuring in lakes, and elderberry trees frequently line the banks of water sources.

how about extracts then? they are from the real thing so they must taste vaugely similar.

Personally i think we need to be very careful....extracts are difficult to use in amounts that fish MAY still find pallatable.

Fish love such things as corn, Spam, pulses, and "live" food items....not to mention some superb boilies and of course pellet.....bait is one item of fishing that no longer worries me.........knowing when to use what is the main thought!

You know what........we never had it so good!!

Frothey

Reaction score

The way it reads is that you were pondering naturals, and then tried the baits mentioned, but swaping to boilies produced results. Nowhere did you state that you hadn't used them - check your quote. You also asked "natural or HNV" not "natural or boilie/pellet/sweetcorn" if I want to be pedantic.

green lipped mussels are freshwater mussels, naturally occuring in lakes

Not in the UK....

and elderberry trees frequently line the banks of water sources.

But not all.....

Vaguely similar and tasting the same are two totally different things. Look at strawberry flavour - they all taste and smell "vaguely" similar to us, but most are next to useless as attractors within bait.

Sandeel meal is a fantastic fishmeal, would you confidently use one as bait?

Last edited: