Talk about apathetic...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It probably won't win me any votes but...

16 votes in total for the current photo competition!

Seriously, that's taking the p***.

Fewer people have voted than there are entries!

There are apparantly 181 people on-line now, 71 of whom are registered members and 16 of us have bothered to vote.

16 people have bothered to do something that costs nothing aside from a click of their mouse button. Unbelievable.

I'm astounded so few people have entered the competition as well, is £50.00 then a chance at £500.00 not worth it?

If you feel the urge:

Please click here then vote for an image - or submit one of your own as well.

Cakey

Reaction score
its true ....Im thinking of pulling mine out so I can use them else where
I wouldnt mind but I went out especially !
just an idea for next month perhaps a member should browse the pictures through the month and pick his or her favourite

sagalout

Reaction score
Maybe it's not apathy but on this fishing site not everyone is interested in photog..... oh I can't be bothered.

Cakey

Reaction score
but it not asking a lot for those that bothered ...........................or is it ?

Old Nick

Reaction score
I'm waiting for all the entries to be in, as I assume we only have one vote.

I thought the idea was for all entries to be posted and then we had time to vote afterwards!

Cakey

Reaction score
I think the idea was to vote as we went but with the option of changing your vote if a better picture was posted

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I cast my vote last week, but when i noticed a picture yesterday that i liked more, i just cancelled my original vote, and then voted for the new picture, it couldn't be easier.
I agree, not everyone likes Photography, but they don't have to take a photo to join in, everybody does know what they like the look of, have a browse, if you see one you like, then you can cast a vote, and if you don't like any of them, then don't.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
It isn't that long ago that members were asking for more competitions, so we pulled all the stops out, in spite of being awash with problems following the transfer from the old site, to get this one going.

Judging by the number of photographs in the albums we thought a photographic competition would be well received.

And voting couldn't be easier, you just need to want to.

As Stealph wrote: "I cast my vote last week, but when i noticed a picture yesterday that i liked more, i just cancelled my original vote, and then voted for the new picture, it couldn't be easier. I agree, not everyone likes Photography, but they don't have to take a photo to join in."

You don't have to be a great photographer to enter, and it may not take a great photograph (pictorially speaking) to win; just a photograph that most people like best as it could be the subject that appeals rather than the quality of the picture. Just have a go, it costs nothing, and if anyone has a problem uploading pics or anything else, just ask!

It's this simple, if there isn't more enthusiasm for the competition that'll be one prize provider who may not bother again.

If enough people think voting should be cancelled at this stage then that's no problem. I can reset the vote counter, and restart it again from zero when the closing date for entries arrives.

Paul H

Reaction score
I must admit that it took me several attempts to get a reasonable looking image at a reasonable viewing size down to 100kb. A bit larger would make it easier in that respect.

It seems few people hadn't even realised there was a competition running, maybe a link to any current competitions could form part of the home-page somewhere?

I do accept that some people really couldn't give two hoots about taking photos but everyone can appreciate a good picture and voting takes literally a minute or two.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
We already have a request in the tech department to put a link of some kind to the competition on the home page. As for the 100k size I think we're stuck with that. Even if it was doubled most shots straight from the camera would have to be reduced.

Paul H

Reaction score
I have no problems reducing image sizes, my cameras record them at several MB each so I always do reduce them a bit. I just found retaining a sharp picture (with little or no artifacting) at a reasonable size (like 9x6" or 7x5") very tricky at under 100kb.

Two of mine ended up looking a bit soft around the edges, and I can assure you they were pin-sharp to begin with ;) honest.