The Perfect Cuppa

Cakey

Reaction score
I been disagreeing with a couple of mates that say when making a cuppa and you want a second one you cant boil the same water twice
is this true or balls like I think it is
and how do you make the perfect cuppa on the banks ?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Partly balls Cakey!

The advice from tea merchants is always to use fresh water each time as it has dissolved air in it which makes the tea taste better. Any chemist will tell you that by the time water has boiled any dissolved air has long gone! (You can prove this by dropping a goldfish into a kettle of boiling water - it always dies).

I suspect that the real truth is that 'old water' picks up a bit of the scale from the inside of the kettle in hard water areas and this tastes the tea.

My own opinion is that you can't tell the difference!

The secret of a good cup of tea on the bank is always to warm the cup before putting the boiling water in.

For the best cuppa from a flask I follow Chris Yates and use green tea, which doesn't seem to get that horrible flask taste. Clipper Green Tea with lemon is really good in a flask. Drunk without milk of course!

Last edited:
Reaction score
To start with, you need to get your self what ever tea Ron drinks. I am sure it will be the best tea that money can buy and must be the starting point for that perfect cuppa.

The cup must also be bone china. My mother insists on it.

My father in law (and his mother) always boil teh milk first too. People who do this clearly have something wrong with them and should not be trusted.

Personally, I don't have a preference as I only drink port.

Cakey

Reaction score
so my mates wife is not as batty as I think she is when she says she can taste the hard water !

SHUT IT CORKER ................:D:D:D

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Fresh water each boil,
Yorkshire Tea Bag,
Dunk the bag 10 times and stir,
When bag stops spinning squeeze with spoon and remove,

Add milk to taste.

Perfick:cool:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
She's certainly not Cakey, up here we(I) have to filter the water, not like the Essex or Northants water. Locals like it though.

For the first time last week,I used my Kelly Kettle on the bank, and even tea bags tasted better than any flask tea variety!
May even take leaf tea next time, I've got a spare stainless steel teapot.

A very little milk,certainly not boiled, or sterilised....eeeeeeeeeeeuck

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I been disagreeing with a couple of mates that say when making a cuppa and you want a second one you cant boil the same water twice
is this true or balls like I think it is
and how do you make the perfect cuppa on the banks ?

I think I would be agreeing with your mates Cakey.

I hate the taste of 'twice boiled' water - yuk!

Like Fred, I prefer to boil the water in the Kelly Kettle on the bank and I do use tea bags on the bank, but at home its Earl Grey leaf tea and freshly boiled water.

Cakey

Reaction score
what about thermo cups
I hate them as I think it "stews" the tea which is a taste I really hate (not as much as flask tea)

Matthew White

Reaction score
I just take hot water in my flask, some milk in a seperate bottle and few tea bags. I then make the cup of tea when I fancy one. Stops you getting that weird taste because your flask does not get tainted.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Corker has the best idea.......... stick to port!

Otherwise, the key to good tea from a flask is all down to the choice of suger. Mine is dark, and of the Navel variety........ all the way from the Carribean! I recomend at least two per cup!

:):)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I don't mind tea from a flask whilst fishing, it doesn't 'stew' it could only do that if the bag was left in it. The only thing that happens is it slowly gets colder.

The air in water business is true and second or third boilings don't release as much flavour from the tea bag.

Besides you should only ever boil as much water as you need each time - think of the environment!

dezza

Reaction score
All a load of b****cks!!

Get "Ultra Strong Pontefract Poison", which is a double strength Yorkshire designed thick stalk tea grown on the easterly slopes of the Magaliesberg Mountains in The Northern Province of South Africa. Put about 4 table spoons of this into a large pewter tea pot and add boiling water drawn from the River Don, opposite the prison in Doncaster.

Put this lot onto the hob of an Agar cooker and allow to stew for at least 5 days. Good tea is like wine, maturity is what is required. Add water as desired, the whole idea is the concentrate the tea until you can stand your spoon up in it.

After at least 5 days, pour(?) the tea into a suitable cup, add at least 4 teaspoons of sugar, milk and double cream and drink.

This is the real stuff chaps, not like your weak and willy weasel **** you "brew" in the south. Yates should come up north and taste what real tea is all about.

It's on the same level as that 6% ABV "beer" they drink in the South. In the Vale of the Don which starts just outside my house, they now have a proper beer which is called "Reight Riggwelter" at 27% ABV. Real men can drink 10 pints of this and still stand on one leg.

:cool:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I make up a Flask when ever i go Fishing and i use instant white Typhoo tea, it's not as nice as a real brew, but better than cack coffee, which i hate.
The advantage is, it does stay wamrer that brewing up and then pouring it in to a Flask.

Reboiled water makes a worse brew ???? And i thought i was puddled :wh
China Cup is a must, it keeps the Brew warmer.
I'm a Yorshire Gold Tea fan and i like my Tea strong, none of this flash the teabag at the water nats p!ss brew nonsense.
No sugar and just a drop of milk.