New Rod Rings

S

Shrek

How easy is it to replace rod rings that are broken, or is it easier to take it into your tackle shop and ask them to do it?

If it's easier to do it yourself, how do you go about it, what kit do you need (other than new rod rings) and how long does it take?

W

Willie McKinnon

Its not easy to do a top job.If it is an expensive rod take it to a rod builder.Full set on beach-caster is about ?25 + cost of rings approx.

Willie.....

E

Edmund Cowpe

Adrain,

There is no problem as long as you practice first. Once you have picked your rings you need to buy some whipping thread; the best is Talbot Nylon from all good tackle shops. Next you need some two pack seymo whipping sealer and epoxy (it comes in a three bottle pack for a fiver). Now the best bet is to get somebody to show you how to whip on the ring, if you buy all the stuff from one place I am sure they will show you. Next practice dry whipping a mid sized ring on the rod between two existing rings. Make sure the end of the ring is flush with blank the and not sharp, a little filing and sanding of the ring foot may be required. Use a slither of tape to hold the ring removing this as you get the whipping close to it. When you have done at least three good whips, removing the ring each time then its time to start. If not, you can take the kit to a local tackle shop who will finish the job off. Now measure where the rings fall and write it down. if you are carefull you should be able to remove the existing rings without too much difficulty. Lightly sand the blank where the old rings where then whip on the new. Use the sealer, dry, then the epoxy. Only use quality rings, why noy buy one ring and a spool of Talbot then give it a try!! Go on you will suprise yourself, next step builing a whole rod!!!

S

Shrek

Thanks for the advice Edmund, however I chickened out and it is in the tackle shop already.

It is something I would like to try though, a winter project perhaps to build my own rod.

Thanks for all the advice though, I've printed it off for future reference.

K

Kevan Farmer

Adrian. Possibly the best way of learning this skill is to buy a cheap rod - second hand - and strip it. Clean up the fittings nad whip them back on. You could always have a go at a new handle this way. Once you've finished it with a bit of luck you might well sell the rod on for more than you originally paid.

Kevan

R

Ron Clay

What I did for years was to superglue the rings in place before whipping. A tiny drop of glue is all you need.

It is also important to fix the rings on in line with the rod's "spine". Virtually all carbon blanks will exhibit a preferred plane of bending. You need to bend the blank in your fingers, rolling it axially it the same time to feel this. Some autorities say that the rings should be in line with the preferred plane. I like the rings along the spine myself.

R

Ron Clay

Fixed spool or fly rod, you may have a point with a multiplier.

D

Dave O'L

I say give it a go, once done it's reasonabbly straight forward.
I've found the trickiest jobs are getting thread the right shade and getting off that tip ring with the lighter, without damaging the rod - especially if its a light float etc.

S

Steve King

Dunking the tip ring in boiling water has never failed for me.

S

Steve King

Dave, it's nice to see you taking your head off to me, but your hat would have sufficed honest!!

Another tip that was passed to me by my local tackle shop and that I have used once successfully follows - If the lining of a ring has cracked or fallen out, it is possible to glue in another lining. Firstly buy an identical ring. Next, gently file the outer part of the ring away until the lining can be removed. All that remains is to glue the lining in position. Be gentle though as the linings won't stand being forced at all - if it don't fit don't force it!

I would suggest that this is only used on intermediate rings and not tip or butt rings. I fixed a broken ring on a "heavy float" rod around four years ago this way and it's still going strong!

K

Kevan Farmer

The problem comes when you have to replace an agate lining. Not easy to get hold of these days.

Kevan

D

Dave O'L

Anyone used a paper clip & tape as was often suggested in the 'old' books?
I did in the Lakes when a lump of granite removed 2 rings because I forgot to bring a rod rest. Dooooh!
I does work - after a fashion.

Steve, thank Rodney - he knows how to help a boy loose his head??????
I rather have that than Rodney give me head!!!

Sorry I'll get me coat.

R

Rodney Wrestt

WHOAAAAA...NOT f***'N FUNNY, THAT'S SICK...I'm not even involved in this thread an besides your not even my type. ;o}~

S

Steve King

Dave, I have used tape to hold on a ring after I damaged the whipping, but I have never used a paperclip and let's face it how many people bother to carry them nowadays - most of us have a spare rod (or several!)with us.

D

Dave O'L

Sorry Rodney!

Steve don't ask me how I had 2 paper clips on me. It was a good few years ago & I think they had been in my box for a lot longer.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Dave,
No need I would have come...er no wrong word...posted a similar comment, all's fair in war and fishing. ;o}~

D

Dave O'L

Cheers mate.

I'm wondering if we are slowing the site down at all Rodders?
Since I've gone live it seems to take a bit longer - could be my imagination???????

R

Rodney Wrestt

Your right dave, it depends on how much resourses you have free and the speed of modem you have, so really the more graphics or animation present it slows the refresh rate on the system you are using but not the actual site....if that makes sense?