TFG Force 8 Bivvy

Mike Wyton

Reaction score
Obviously am thinking of buying 1. I have a Chub Cyfish atm..but is a pain to erect!
Force 8 is double skin / built in groundsheet and supposedly easy to erect. However i read a piece on another forum today that slated it..... not rainproof was the main bad point !!

Any advice from you lads/lasses gratefully recieved..

Thanks Mike :)

richiekelly

Reaction score
i use a chub cyfish and dont have any problems with erecting it probably because my sons always do it for me, there are some advantages to getting older, i have used it in very heavy rain and it has never leaked

strut5a

Reaction score
I've had a Force8 for about three years and have had no problembs whatsoever. I have spent numerous nights in torrential rain and this bivvy has never let me down yet.
The only complaint I would make is that the carry bag is not of over generous size and packing the bivvy away can be a bit difficult until you get the hang of it.

Shine

Reaction score
I was looking for a bivvy last year and asked a lot of questions about this bivvy. All the info I got gave the thumbs up. I bought one but never got to go night fishing because of health reasons. I can tell you I put it up in my back garden and it was easy, also looked roomy enough. Cant tell you first hand though how waterproof it is. From what I gathered, for the money, its a good bivvy.

r1paul

Reaction score
The only complaint I would make is that the carry bag is not of over generous size and packing the bivvy away can be a bit difficult until you get the hang of it.[/QUOTE]

They are all the same , fit nice at the factory when first packed , but on the bank they are a pain in the arse to pack away .:mad: :w

Mike Wyton

Reaction score
Thank you

ok tks folks for replies....Dal I take ur pooint but i require something for days on end !!

Have decided to try 1 out...

cheers again :)

Mike

edit: pooint = point !! lol

Last edited:

Mike Wyton

Reaction score
Bivvy

Not bought yet Woody, am going to find somewhere i can see 1 put up next week

will post my thoughts when i see/buy/try.

rgds Mike

gator1215

Reaction score
Not bought yet Woody, am going to find somewhere i can see 1 put up next week

will post my thoughts when i see/buy/try.

rgds Mike

i am after a day shelter and a bivvy, the force 8 looks eay to put up so i thought of that bivvy, and the tfg day shelter looks ok aswell

Shine

Reaction score
Hi woodyofcastle. I know (because I have one) the tfg day shelter is good. Loads of space, easy to set up, wind/waterproof. Its a large bivvy without the front.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a force 8 and find it great and it's deffo waterproof. I've never heard of one leaking in. I have the two man as it gives you plenty of room for your kit...brewin up etc.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, u star exactly what I needed to hear as I also going for 2 man !

Tks big m8

Rgds all Mike

Just remember to have a few goes at erecting and de-erecting the bivvy before you go on the bank. It was a bit tricky putting up and down for me at first but now I know how it's very easy.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Obviously am thinking of buying 1. I have a Chub Cyfish atm..but is a pain to erect!
Force 8 is double skin / built in groundsheet and supposedly easy to erect. However i read a piece on another forum today that slated it..... not rainproof was the main bad point !!

Any advice from you lads/lasses gratefully recieved..

Thanks Mike :)

i am after a day shelter and a bivvy, the force 8 looks eay to put up so i thought of that bivvy, and the tfg day shelter looks ok aswell

This is my humble, yet well travelled experience when it comes to bivvies & shelter ... as it took me numerous purchases before i got it right for my circumstances.

Ok ... Bivvy first ...
I think the Force 8 Bivvies are a pretty poor effort by TFG, i havent owned one but believe me, for every good review there seems to be countless others that slate it. It seems to struggle in anything more than a breeze & the mechanism would seem to prone to faults. There are far superior bivvies on the market at around the same budget, that are as quick to put up including the Fox Evo, Pioneer Ultralight, JRC STI Brolly (not really a brolly), JRC Defender Brolly (not really a brolly) ... all of these are in a different league. To suggest changing from a Chub Cyfish (superb bivvy) for the TFG would be a big step backwards imo

Day Shelters.
What do you want a day shelter for ?? .... Is it literally for days, a few hours on the water, or roaming the river, or trying to fit in those tight little swims that arent suitable for a full size bivvy ??
Anything bigger than a 45"or50" type Nubrolli/Umbrella really for this situations is overkill for days only.
The best alternative option currently on the market & what i use for days is the Korum Day Shelter. It offers far better stability than a brolly, easy to put up, at 3.5kg is lighter in weight than a brolly (oval type), is waterproof and has plenty of room for chair & gear whilst having a sensibly sized footprint. Highly recommend it ;)

Last edited:

gator1215

Reaction score
This is my humble, yet well travelled experience when it comes to bivvies & shelter ... as it took me numerous purchases before i got it right for my circumstances.

Ok ... Bivvy first ...
I think the Force 8 Bivvies are a pretty poor effort by TFG, i havent owned one but believe me, for every good review there seems to be countless others that slate it. It seems to struggle in anything more than a breeze & the mechanism would seem to prone to faults. There are far superior bivvies on the market at around the same budget, that are as quick to put up including the Fox Evo, Pioneer Ultralight, JRC STI Brolly (not really a brolly), JRC Defender Brolly (not really a brolly) ... all of these are in a different league. To suggest changing from a Chub Cyfish (superb bivvy) for the TFG would be a big step backwards imo

Day Shelters.
What do you want a day shelter for ?? .... Is it literally for days, a few hours on the water, or roaming the river, or trying to fit in those tight little swims that arent suitable for a full size bivvy ??
Anything bigger than a 45"or50" type Nubrolli/Umbrella really for this situations is overkill for days only.
The best alternative option currently on the market & what i use for days is the Korum Day Shelter. It offers far better stability than a brolly, easy to put up, at 3.5kg is lighter in weight than a brolly (oval type), is waterproof and has plenty of room for chair & gear whilst having a sensibly sized footprint. Highly recommend it ;)

i wanted the tfg day shelter because of its size, my girlfriend wants to come with me on fishing trips so it will have to fit 2 of us under it with 2 carp chairs, and i dont want to take a bivvy for a day session of say 10 hours.
i really dislike brollies, so thats why i want a shelter.

so i need to steer clear of the tfg force 8 extreme bivvy's then?
what would you recommend around the £200 mark?

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Anyone want a TF Gear day shelter going cheap. Look how good this one is on ebay. You should all get your bids in :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3772&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_3334wt_1165

why are you selling ??

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

i wanted the tfg day shelter because of its size, my girlfriend wants to come with me on fishing trips so it will have to fit 2 of us under it with 2 carp chairs, and i dont want to take a bivvy for a day session of say 10 hours.
i really dislike brollies, so thats why i want a shelter.

so i need to steer clear of the tfg force 8 extreme bivvy's then?
what would you recommend around the £200 mark?

I would combine both your budgets & go for something that covers both your requirements.
Top of the range would be the Pioneer Ultralight. This will do what you want with ease & is superb. It goes up in an instant, well made & offers good coverage. You can unzip the front completely & leave at home with groundsheet for when using during days & use as a full blown rigid bivvy when doing overnighters.
If not fancying that then you really would be hard pushed to beat the value & versatility of either the JRC STI Brolly & overwrap or JRC Defender Brolly & Overwrap or even the Trakker A Light & overwrap ..... all these have excellent reputation by people that have used for many a session :):)