electro fishing

richiekelly

Reaction score
the syndicate lakes that i fish are due to be electro fished shortly to remove some of the very numerous small pike (they are not being culled ) this is being done to try and reduce the number of lines being bitten through by the pike which has been happening a lot leaving baited carp rigs in the lake does anyone know what effect this may have on the short term feeding of the carp or will it have a long term effect

supgen

Reaction score
seriously? pike biting through the lines? Ive never heard of that before, must be pretty bad. presuming that the carp are going to be stunned aswell I'd guess it might put them off feeding for a couple of days.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've heard of bite-offs, pike attacking rigs as they are retrieved, but come on! I've landed pike whilst fishing braid hooklengths and fishy boilies, the braid gets shredded, but holds up....

I honestly can't believe it's happening on the scale that it leaves loads of baited carp rigs in the water?

Or is it a case that the carp boys dont want the pike in there?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sorry mate, but i'm having trouble accepting this one, it reeks of a ploy, to remove pike. Regardless of how it's presented for public consumption, it just don't sit right.

Cakey

Reaction score
and I agree with Mike above...............................is it the 1st of april

richiekelly

Reaction score
this is no joke its happening i have never known it happen before on any other water but belive me its happening on this one it may be being caused by the very very large head of small pike that are in the water chasing fry which are very abundant and the line being accidentally being bitten through when the pike swims into the line what else could cause your line to suddenly fall slack there are no sharp snags or zebra mussels in the water and this is happening while the rods are in the rests not while reelng in to give you an idea of the head of pike an angler caught 11 in 2 hours spinning i was sceptical myself when first told of this happening but having had this happen to myself twice now i belive that this is what is happening, the anglers are mostly very capable and would not/ are not using old or weak line and as i said its happening with the rods in the rests. there is no plan to remove the pike because carp anglers dont want them as a lot of the members fish for them in the winter and anyway if they were removed the silver fish would mutiply and would be eating a lot of the natural food in the lake these waters are run by an experienced and well known angler who would not do this

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
it has happened with both slack and tight lines , no pike have been removed before they have been caught to upper twenties, a carp angler had a 24 on a popup a few weeks ago my

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Have bigger pike been removed in previous years?
And what will happen to all these jacks when they are caught?

My thoughts exactly Paul, the removal by whatever means, of a number of big pike from any water, results in an explosion of jack's.

As regards what will happen to any pike taken whilst electro netting. Well, I don't think there's any need to speculate, based on my own personal experience.

supgen

Reaction score
surely a backlead would fix the problem straight away???

if I were you, and if its allowed, use one of the jacks as a deadbait for a bigger pike you might just up your pb by a few pounds ;)

richiekelly

Reaction score
im sorry but you lads that think this is a pike cull are wrong the pike are going to another water that is not fished,its easy to see now why the angling trust will never work when there is no trust between anglers as ive said before NO pike have ever been removed from this water small or large a lot of the carp anglers also pike fish myself included i asked about the effect of electro fishing on the carp but it seems to have turned into a bash the carp anglers thread why oh why do predator anglers think they are the only ones who care about pike i fish for all sorts of species and care about them all please dont assume that this water is run like some club waters are it isnt

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Blanker, given the persecution pike have been subjected to for over a hundred years, and, in some parts of the country ''still are''. It shouldn't surprise you that certain people may become sceptical when they hear the words ''pike removal''. No other species is viewed like the pike, at least in my experience, it's either love 'em or hate 'em.

My own initial problem with your first post, was your description of pike biting through carp anglers lines, on an apparently regular basis. Something I have only very rarely encountered in over fifty years fishing. And yet, as your post suggests, this is the basis for a cull.

I apologise if my words have offended you, I was simply questioning the basis for the intended cull.

As regards the effect electro fishing may have on the carp, surely the effect will be the same for all other resident fish. And I assume then that any ''big'' pike taken are to be returned.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
the syndicate lakes that i fish are due to be electro fished shortly to remove some of the very numerous small pike (they are not being culled ) this is being done to try and reduce the number of lines being bitten through by the pike which has been happening a lot leaving baited carp rigs in the lake does anyone know what effect this may have on the short term feeding of the carp or will it have a long term effect

In the first post it does state that they are not being culled

richiekelly

Reaction score
Blanker, given the persecution pike have been subjected to for over a hundred years, and, in some parts of the country ''still are''. It shouldn't surprise you that certain people may become sceptical when they hear the words ''pike removal''. No other species is viewed like the pike, at least in my experience, it's either love 'em or hate 'em.

My own initial problem with your first post, was your description of pike biting through carp anglers lines, on an apparently regular basis. Something I have only very rarely encountered in over fifty years fishing. And yet, as your post suggests, this is the basis for a cull.

I apologise if my words have offended you, I was simply questioning the basis for the intended cull.

As regards the effect electro fishing may have on the carp, surely the effect will be the same for all other resident fish. And I assume then that any ''big'' pike taken are to be returned.
i know how pike and zander for that matter have been treated in the past by some clubs and organisations and this may lead to a view that this is still the same in some areas, the view of some organisations has changed, indeed on one water i fish for zander the club who where very much against them now have a rule that they must be returned, this is because they have been in there a long time and the water has a natural balance now, i know that there is still a lot of ignorance surrounding pike and i fear that it will always be so much the pity but i belive that things are getting better the water in question is not one where this ignorance rules, we can only hope that more people come to realise that predetors are an important part of any fishery and that their vewies change as the club with the zander waters have,

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
In the first post it does state that they are not being culled

M'lud, I have no wish to be pedantic, but my understanding of the term cull relates to any reduction in population of anything, fur, feather or fin. So Blanker, even though he did not use the word, is in effect referring to a cull by any definition. :j

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The definition of Culling:

Culling is the process of removing animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done in order to either reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group.

Culling doesn't always imply, the killing of.