Crucian help

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
On Thursday I am going to; Marsh Farm Fisheries, Godalming, Surrey. I have heard that the Crucian carp fishing there is exceptional. I wondered if any of you guys had fished it and what you found to be the most successful methods and baits. I was going to try flavoured corn on the float and liquidised bread in a cage feeder. Any info would be much appreciated.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Little cubes of luncheon meat, on a Kamasan B911 size 18 hook, fished at dead depth with the tip of the float only just showing. I have had some good success catching crucians using this method.
Paste fished the same way is also a very good method.
Don't know anything about the fishery you will be fishing at though.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ray, liquidised bread in the feeder, but why not a nip of flake as hook bait too. Flake has accounted for many memorable catches of crucians over the years, as well as a few specimens.

Don't know that particular water however. But what I do know is that flake/crust has worked everywhere.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks Graham, just what I was after. I don't remember seeing these articles before. I should have thought to search for them myself. A thank you also, to the other members of FM who have been as helpful as ever.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Hi Ray, I fished Marsh Farm for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to say that it is an excellently run and friendly fishery.

As for the crucians, I was advised in the on site tackle shop that during the day sweetcorn doesn't tend to produce - I had spent the morning on scopex flavoured plastic corn and had a few small roach. They recommended soft hooker pellets to me but it was the humble maggot that led to me catching my first ever crucian at 2lb 5oz, although I had to fight my way through small roach and rudd first. I had a few very finicky bites which I missed on pellet which were almost certainly crucians so I would say it's worth a go on them.

I fished on the bottom and was meticulous with my plumbing so that the bait was just touching the bottom so anything that dislodged it would give me an indication on the float. All through the day there were crucians rolling (which I was also told is not a good sign that they are on the feed!) and one fish that rolled right on front of me in the margins was truly colossal! I also took a nice 5lb 8oz tench on my second rod on corn early in the morning just off one of the islands.

Good luck mate, hope some of this is of use!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Just my luck, I have twisted my knee, following a bit of a fracas with a passenger who tried to rob me yesterday.

I phoned the people at Marsh Farm as I didn't think I would be able to carry my gear from the main car park to my swim. The guy at Marsh Farm said if I went to the shop on arrival they would loan me a badge to put in my windscreen and this would allow me to drive near my swim to unload and also to park nearby. They make this facility available to registered disabled people, but as I am not, and my injury is only temporary, then I thought that this was pretty nice of them.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
That's just how a fishery should be run, well done to them for pulling out all of the stops to help out a customer and a fellow fisherman.

Reaction score
Not sure what went on there - sent the message, then was told the forum demanded 30 seconds between posts and I should send the message again in 15 seconds....so it printed the message again...weird....has it got a virus too?

Still hope the knee's improved in tha last 30 seconds Ray!!!:eek:

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Hope the knee is OK soon Ray....and I hope the thieving basket got what he deserved (nicked!)

Unfortunately or possibly fortunately there were no witnesses around, but it did have it's funny side.

I took this African guy and a large plasma TV to an address. When we arrived I told him the fare was £9.00 he said he only had £7.00. I reluctantly said "give me the £7.00 then". The idiot then gave me two pound coins and a £20.00 note. I just laughed and went to give him his change from the proper fare. He went ape sh*te. He said that the money he had given me was rent for his landlord. I replied; "well, he's in the queue and he's behind me". With that he tried to snatch my money, he managed to tear a ten pound note in half and lost the other half which blew away (His change). He then lunged at me again and knocked me off balance. By now I'd had enough and when he went for me again I smacked him straight in the mouth and then called the police, they arrived and he admitted trying to cheat me and trying to grab the money from me, he then gave them a load of verbal and tried to play the race card. The last I saw of him was when he was carted off in an ambulance. The police were OK with what happened from my point of view, I couldn't say too much about my knee as I hurt it when I tried to kick him and missed. Not my best day but at least his was worse.

Reaction score
Odd fellow..cos by my calculations he paid the full fare and was decent enough to give a tip as well!!

Still given he "fessed"....and assaulted a cabby ...may well cost him a few more quids as well.

Use the tip to buy some pellets!

Poshers

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
All in all mate I'd rather be fishing. I didn't get a tip, he dropped the loose change when I hit him and couldnt find it again. Shame.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I hope that was a PB Ray...and that you enjoy Marsh Farm.Let us know how you get on because that's a place I've been meaning to fish for years but never got round to.

I will let you know how I fared. I fancy the Test again this season, I really enjoyed it last time and now know better what to expect. So many places, so little time.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I'll let you know when we're off to the Test again but it wont be for a bit yet.Can't bear rivers full of leaf.

Thank's, I'm like a big kid when it comes to fishing, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet.

I saw your other post about the Free Spirit rod, if you like you can give my one a try and see if you like it before you part with your hard earned.

Ray.