Greys Prodigy SX & Greys company info

Shine

Reaction score
I have tried to google the info but havent found much. So........

First, has anyone got the Prodigy SX 2.75? If so can you give me a little more info. Are they a players rod, a casting tool, any negs or poss about the rod etc.

Second, I have never owned a Greys rod so what is the after sales like with this company?

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score

First, has anyone got the Prodigy SX 2.75? If so can you give me a little more info. Are they a players rod, a casting tool, any negs or poss about the rod etc.

Second, I have never owned a Greys rod so what is the after sales like with this company?

I dont know how different the SX is to the original Prodigy, but when i was choosing a rod in 2006, i found the Prodigies to be very average in that price range at the time & not a patch on the TFG X Series or the top end Wychwood blanks of the time. I purchased the Wychwood Equinox & still wouldnt swop them for anything else

Greys offer a lifetime garuantee on their new rods, however they do charge a handling of £30 per section (so £60 a 2piece rod). Many people have fallen foul of this, but i understand it to be in the "small print" of the garuantee. Whether you think its worth having would be a personal choice. I have had dealings with Chub (part of the Greys group) and they were excellent. Greys website http://carp.greysfishing.com/en-gb/home/

Shine

Reaction score
Cheers CN. (this is looking like a pink floyd thread :)

I did read about that lifetime guarantee elsewhere, this is what someone else had to say...

quote:
if they blow after the shop warranty expires then there is a chance it is due to damage, it is unfair to say that the rod is at fault, not after a good amount of time, granted, Greys had problems with the Platinum in particular, apart from my own occurrence, I have not heard the same of the Prodigy the sensible thing any one should do with any new rod is take it to a big lake or field, overload the rod with say 1/2oz more lead than it should take in normal use (I gave it 4oz), and give it the biggest whack of your life, if it's gonna break from a defect, it's gonna be then, and at least you can walk straight into the shop and get it sorted without any extra warranty.

In the past I had a problem with a fox rod, they wanted 3/4 of the cost of the rod, also TF gear wanted £25 to replace a butt section on a rod.
The part where you have had dealings with Chub is the sort of thing I wanted to hear.
One or two companies I have bought from in the past couldnt give a monkeys once you bought their product.

Alnath

Reaction score

I have a set of original Prods bought nearly 5 years ago and love them to bits. After buying rods from Fox, Shakespeare, TFG and Masterline the Prods were the ones i was finally happy with. They are not a casting machine, i can only hit about 90 yards with a 3oz lead but they are lovely to play a fish on, they let me know every little knock and bump and give me great feedback.

As for the aftersales i wouldnt know, i sent my lifetime warrenty cards off (at £15 a section) and have not had any reason to use it yet.

CRITTER

Reaction score
in reply to the aftersales team ,i know people from greys ,hardys and chub and understand that the aftersales are a bit of a rough subject to deal with as most companies are quick to take your cash and then stumble at replacing but i know people at hardys who go out the way to help you back to the bank a.s.a.p .i have delt with them a few times over the years and havent a bad thing to say ,other than dont go into the main shop at hardys alnwick northumberland you walk out spending a fortune as each item you pick up you just want to own one lol.....

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
£30 per section covers cost of P&P and insurance.
I had to send top section of G-Tec fly rod as tip broke after I fell. I sent it of on a Friday, it was also a Bank Holiday weekend and the new section arrived at my door on the following thursday morning. Great service.
Cost of new top section would have been around £100, than add P&P and any insurance.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi The SDX rods are a balance btween a playr rod and a casting rod making it a great alround rod as long as you dont get a high TC which would just make the whole action a lot stiffer.
The rods are well finished and look really good on the banksticks with top quality fittings.
Customer service is top notch possible some of the best in the UK IMHO. Yes the unconditional life time warrenty does charge you £30.00 per section but hey come on lifetime means lifetime a very very long time and uncondition means if you run over your rods with your car no problems you can still get a cheap replacement. I know you will love your SX rods they are great value and performe brilliantly.

Shine

Reaction score
I forgot all about posting this thread.

Thanks for all the help. I found the Prodigy SX in a tackle shop. They just didnt feel right for me.

Ended up with Fox euro 2.75. So happy with the choice. When the rod bends it makes me smile. Lovely action :)