Robin Red

S

Steve Mead

Is robin red only available from Haiths ?
My mate just got a price list and its over ?100.00 for a 25lt sack,sorry if this seems a daft question but we only just started in this "bulk buying"
Thanks Steve.

J

John Pleasance

Robin Red goes a long way,?100s worth would last a few lifetimes I should think!

You may need to re-assess how much of this you actually need.

S

Steve Mead

Thanks John
We were uder the impression that is was something that you could use as a base for say a method mix this seems completly wrong could someone explane exactly what it is and how to use it ?
Steve.

D

David Will

Steve most schools of thought revolve around 1 to 2oz of RR to 1lb base mix.
I use it as one of a few additions to my Carp or Tench groundbait.I use a heaped tablespoon per kilo of groundbait.It is a food additive for show birds, the keepers use it to add colour and condition their birds (feathered variety).Try using a vitalin base for your method mix , add RR to that.

B

Birds Nest

A heaped teaspoon per kilo ? Is it really that potent ?

P

Paul Harrison

Steve if you haven't already bought that lifetimes supply try your local pet your for a bird food supplier, pet shop etc I found a farm near me that breeds and sells birds, he also has all the food us anglers could wish for, tigers, pellets, peanuts hemp,red band etc, he buys ferom the suppliers in bulk by the tonne, and sells robin red cheaper than Haith's themselves.
So therefore check out your local freebie ad's paper and/or yellow pages.
cheers

C

Carp Angler

Robin Red is only sold by Haiths.
Spicy bird feeds that are similar are sold by other companies.

I know Haiths are a FM shopping partner, but their recent actions are very mercenary and they will no longer see any of my business.

Because they have bought out their own range of Robin Red boilies, then they have increased the price of RR astronomically.

Last year it was about ?30 a sack.

C

Carp Angler

Or they were.......

I no longer see them in the shopping partner frame.

Graham?

I

Ian Whittaker

I think you may find that Haiths got sick of everybody else putting their percentage on and put profit first!

C

Craig w

whats the Proper name for Red Robin, its Red cloro.... something?, has anyone looked for it that way instead of its brand name "red robin" ? maybe it can be bought somewhere else under its different name used for something else.

A

Anthony Coser

The bulk of Robin red is red carophyll,which is also available in yellow and pink.It is used to create shades of colour in canarys feathers and plummage.The only thing Haiths add to it is sweet spanish pepper(another canary feed)and there own selection of spices and nik naks,but the bulk is red carophyll.A lot cheaper than Robin red.

C

Craig w

yeah thats it Red Carophyll , my dad used to keep red factor Canaries and made up his own food that turned them an even brighter red colour!

will this work on its own as an additive to fish baits or do you need to mix the other "nik naks" in it?

A

Anthony Coser

No reason why not,the nik naks just add the spicy element i think,if the carophyll is the bulk ingredient then its obviously the main attractor.

P

Paul Williams

a guy who was born into rearing birds told me rr is mainly a pepper and that carophyll is a liquid?......so is it the spicy side of rr or the carophlyll that fish seem to like? and do we really know anything about additives?

A

Anthony Coser

If you pile it in yes you will get red/pink carp.I remember fishing Drax Pwer station lake when Julian Cundiff was piling Enervite into the place in 87/88? and some of the carp had a pink tinge to there stomachs

A

Anthony Coser

There is a bait company that does Roger Red,but cannot think were i have seen it,maybe the bait company.

R

Rick Winters

Give Nutrabaits a call, 300grms Robin Red
?5-80, a little goes a long way.