Fish Finder

jcs

Reaction score
Hi All

Thinking of getting myself a fish finder,more to find the hole's and drop offs on the river bed's i fish.
Looking for one you cast in on the rod then watch the screen.
Which one would you say is good for this job, was thinking of the Humminbird® SmartCast™ RF15 Advanced Mobile Station.
Anyone on here used one and if so what would you recommend,any help i would be very grateful.

Nigel (manu31999)

darrengeorge

Reaction score
Yes they are a great time saver, and really useful on the big rivers like the lower severn and that. I have the rf15, second hand

wiganstu

Reaction score
i would stay clear of the big base unit version , just for transportation purposes

im not sure on the model number , but i have the rod mounted version , packs away in a small pocket , no weight , no issues

A

alan whittington

Fellas ive had a thread on the tackle side and wondered if you knew if the 'finder' picks up fish which are on the bottom as i have heard they just show as bumps,whereas when off bottom they show as a fish symbol.As a matter of interest i have the watch mounted version for the same reason as Stu.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have owned a smart cast for a couple of years now. I have the one with the base station and have no probs with it. It fits into the bottom of my tackle bag. The guy who sold me mine said he had never caught a fish he had seen on the screen and had caught many fish that hadn't shown at all. great for finding holes etc but dont trust it in less than 4 feet. Also takes a bit of practice to interpret what you are seeing, but well worth the effort. Incidently if you buy the base station model you get a transducer which sticks to the side of a boat which is far more accurate should you get the chance to use it. Used mine on Blenheim last winter from the rowing boats, found baitfish, caught pike, happy days.

jcs

Reaction score
Very Helpful.

Thank's for all your help lad's and tight line's for the rest of the season.
I think i will go for the Humminbird® SmartCast® RF-25 Rod Mount version.

Nigel (manu31999)