feeder rod tip availabilty C**P WHY?

tortoise100

Reaction score
Just purchased a shakspear ganza 12ft medium /heavy feeder rod second hand for £10 but it only had one of it's two tips intact.
This rod is only just over a year old the previous owner used it twice and on the second outing one of the tips was broken .
I took it out tonight for it's third outing and broke the other one no idea why just cast out the feeder and tried to wind in a bit only to find it a mess at the end.( I chopped of all the broken bits and continued )
I have been told about this problem at my local tackle shop ,the problem being having perfectly good feeder rods with **** weak tips that no one sells therefore scrap rods.
I have been in touch with shakespear who don't sell these as a spare item but gave me the details of a shop who is a service provider I am yet to find out if they have any or not.

My question is if the average ledger tip is going to last less than the average float why is it so hard to get new ones ? and why are they so rubish in the first place it can't be rocket science to produce ones that dont break easy in the first place yet are sensative enough.

One not very impressed feeder rod owner as if ledgering is not hard enough to try to get into in the first place no wonder .

I found a ledgering rod a few weeks ago floating in the local fishing slag heap in the centre of derby called marketon park, weed covering now up to 85% thanks derby city council for the great job! (go a couple of miles away to the posh part of derby and alestree lake is well looked after with no weed)Well thats proberbly where all the local councilers live etc.

It had a brocken tip proberbly why the litter lout dumped it.

Sorry for the rant fingers crossed I can get new tips or I will be trawling round tackle shops trying out anything they have.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I've had a few feeder rods over the years, and i can honestly say that i have never had any of the tips snap on me, and i have had some cheap feeder rods made by Shakespeare, and some not so cheap rods not made by shakespeare.
With the rod being 2nd hand it may well be the tip was already damaged slightly and that you hadn't noticed.
It may have been a bad batch of quiver tips or it may have had a hair line crack in it.

issimmo

Reaction score
If you can't replace the tips with new ones try some Shimano tips, they come as spare parts and they're much stronger than most I've used.

A

alan whittington

Froggy,take your tip section into a decent tackle shop and ask to see if any other manufacturers tips fit,for they often do,good luck Alan.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered making a replacement tip?

Most decent tackle shops will stock flick tips for poles and whips and these are easily trimmed down to the size and T/C that you need.

A few cheap(ish) rings and a little patience and hey presto - a new quiver tip.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
A tip I've found that works to stop Q/T damage (no pun intended) is to spiral wrap the top 8" -9" of the tip with a fine braid, sealed with a quick wipe down with superglue with the index finger; as I said 'quick':) I usually do a double wrap, down from and up to the end ring again and have not found it has any affect on the action of the tip.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Thanks for the "TIPS" guys .

Can't get any replacments from the contact but he sugested going round trying tip's in a local shop as well .

His advice was it was worth buying one slightly too big as it only takes a few minutes to rub them down to fit with glass paper even carbon ones.

Not sure I would want glassfibre anyway after the recent performance .

The binding idea could be a good plan as well.

As it turned out last night as I was fishing for barbel the tip being brocken was not to much of an ishue but I have still not got the hang of recognising when to strike or how to catch with hookable pellets though I stayed up late watching a briliant guide by matt hayes on youtube so now have a better idea.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You might want to read this article "WHAT I WROTE", especially the last bit on quivers. It's best to get them a little larger and fine them down with wet and dry, little by little and keep testing them.

Fibre glass are the best, believe it not. Carbon breaks like pot.

You will always break the odd one, but a useful tip is, before casting pull the line back through the rings towards you to make certian it has perfectly free travel. Only takes a second and save £10 - £20 on a new tip.

Do Google for Drennan tips, they're pretty cheap. but you'd have to check first that they will fit or near as dammit.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Assuming the cause of tip breakage wasn't your own fault (line wrap is VERY common) then it must be quality of glass/resin or incorrect grinding. Properly made glass and carbon (they do not break 'like pot' if made correctly) tips should be able to bend through to an alarming degree without splintering or snapping. Additionally, there is no way that anyone should be having to whip the top few inches with braid, nylon etc to reinforce the thing. That just proves how bad the material/tip is.

A

alan whittington

froggy,if you have probs with glass beware of carbon,for if you are the slightest bit clumsy,they WILL break,decent tips made by drennan or diawa are pretty good but may not fit,hope you find one to suit.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Apart from damage through my own stupidity the only tip I've had break whilst 'fishing' was on my Graham Phillips MJ special quiver; it actually snapped at the send where it joined the put over sleeve. I sent it back to GP Rods and it was replaced FOC. Spare/replacement tips were very expensive at the time I believe.

The rod now has a built in quiver as it has suffered several mishaps since then:eek:

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Apart from damage through my own stupidity the only tip I've had break whilst 'fishing' was on my Graham Phillips MJ special quiver; it actually snapped at the send where it joined the put over sleeve. I sent it back to GP Rods and it was replaced FOC. Spare/replacement tips were very expensive at the time I believe.

The rod now has a built in quiver as it has suffered several mishaps since then:eek:
I had a run of problems with a normark multi-tip and broke 3 tips and it cost me one and a half legs it was that expensive,so i sold it,the rod itself was a peach but i think the carbon tips were a design fault for they were so fine you couldnt feel any change when you wound down and bang there it was naffed,ive never had a drennan or diawa tip break and im holding onto a large wooden table in hope.

redalert06

Reaction score
for a rod which costs a tenner and probably only £50 new you can't expect to find spares imo.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Been down and got something that needs a sand to fit from my one of my local shops it was the only one that would nearly fit and is white ,luckly it is a heavy feeder tip not sure what make but it cost £9.99.!

I think that even if the rod was £15 new tips should be available since they break so easy or are feeder rods sold to be disposable now ?

I suppose that since it is possible to buy one with two tips for £15 new that might be the case .

I will be triming and spray painting my two brocken tips as well then they are still usable for larger fish maybe!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Iam sure that Shaky used to do tip rods with tips that were compatible with other rods.

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
It would only take three manufacturers getting together and anouncing that from now on they would all use the same tips and this would make it easy for the shops to sell spares as well as people like me would rather buy one of the three rods that I could get tips for at a decent price.

I have a rod that takes screw in tips and they are all the same so what whent wrong ?apart from the screw in tip rod not being very good .

A

alan whittington

Some do froggy drennan and diawa both interchange as do the normark carbon and garbolino(incorrect spelling i think,but.....)i believe,but these are all that little bit higher quality manufacturers than shakespeare,but you should still be able to buy replacement tips and they should be ok and not substandard.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It would only take three manufacturers getting together and anouncing that from now on they would all use the same tips and this would make it easy for the shops to sell spares

That's as likely as car manufacturers using the same chips in their engine managment systems.

Strictly speaking, they could all conform to - one size fits all! Let's face it, bank sticks and landing nets are like that with all the furniture being 3/8th BSF thread.