Tockenham Lake in Swindon

A

Alistair Campbell

Has anyone fished ths lake, and if so can you provide me with any information as to fish sizes etc..

Many Thanks.

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
Hello Alistair. I haven,t fished it for a while but its not a bad water. There is a very good head of carp in there ranging from singles up to low twenties. There are only one or two in the twenties bracket but there are plenty of doubles. My friends and i fished it years ago and its changed quite a bit. Most baits work just ring the changes. Certainly try the margins at this time of year, the carp like to get right in close . Right under the rod tops. The arm that goes up to the main lake shouldnt be avioded as some good fish have been taken from here in recent years. Its also a good general fishery and it see,s a lot of general and match anglers.This means it gets busy so as its day only you need to get up early to secure a good swim. The main body of the lake is generally around the twelve tothirteen foot mark with the dam end reaching sixteen in places. Apparently there is now limited night fishing available. Ithink you need to enquire with Bristol Amalgamation about this as its not advertised. This is a surprise as night fishing was always banned due mainly to the close proximity to RAF Lyneham. Certainly when we used to fish into the dark when we were younger the RAFpolice used to be there sometimes to throw us off. Its worth finding out about this though as the bigger fish used to come out after dark. Hope this is of some help.