Hair rig

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a line/braid for making my own hairs rigs for carp Mainly silt weedy lakes
Regards

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's no one answer. It depends what you want the material to do.

Can you be more specific? Is it just for tying on a hair or do you want the same material to form the leader also, as in using the knotless knot?
for hair only using knotless knot

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

What are you fishing for Michael? (fish species and typical size) Carp/Tench lakes hair only knotless knot weedy silty

Rivers or stillwaters?

Snaggy or clear?

Weedy, silty, gravel, sandy bottom?
mainly weedy silty lakes

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you're using a knotless then surely you will be forming the hair from the same length of line used for you hooklength - or am I missunderstanding something?

emms1985

Reaction score
are you talking about what material your rig should be made of? or are you implying you are going to use a different material for the hair such as a more supple material? for the kind of bottoms you are on i would use a supple material and youll have to analyse the lake bed further in your chosen spots and change length of rig accordingly assuming you want to increase your chances of better presentation....and you could use some pva arrangment to help further with the presentation.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
when using Fluorocarbon or mono hooklengths i use Dacron for a hair loop that i've had since the 1980's :eek::eek: ... If using coated braid then just strip back enough for the loop

supgen

Reaction score
good old mono makes a kick ass rig. a wee bit more flex then fluro which I prefer. cheap as chips :D

Shine

Reaction score
Just copied this from carp talk as the thread is about the hair rig..............

One of the most dramatic events ever to happen in carp fishing, was when Lenny Middleton and Kevin Maddocks carried out tank experiments with sweetcorn tied to the bend of the hook, with hair from the head of Kevin’s wife Brenda Maddocks! And so the hair rig was born.
But would it work with pressurised carp in a proper carp fishing situation? Lenny took it to the Darenth complex
in Kent to find out and with some trepidation he cast out a hair rig set-up. He was quoted as saying: “I’ll give it three quarters of an hour.” Needless to say he soon had a screaming run and the hair rig was born.
This development meant that on most waters (in some cases almost overnight) catching carp became a much easier business, indeed Lenny himself in the first two seasons of use amassed a staggering 234 doubles including no fewer than 47 of more than 20lb.
However, it took sometime before the general carp fishing community got to hear about it all. The first public airing of the hair rig was by Lenny Middleton himself in Coarse Angler magazine published in late 1981.
Since then the hair rig has spawned hundreds of variations, some good, others vastly over complicated. But the fact remains that nearly 30 years later most rods cast out to catch a carp in the UK have some form of hair rig on the business end - quite amazing.

richiekelly

Reaction score
a version of the hair rig was being used well before this by match anglers fishing the river severn,they used maggots threaded onto cotton which was then tied to the hooks simalar to some maggot rigs being used today

klik2change

Reaction score
You should try to find out how deep the silt is, as that could affect the length of your hooklength. The easiest way is to attach a length of light-coloured wool to the last few feet of a line, with just a lead on the very end. Try lowering it in at the rod tip, then take a look. You should also cast it in to where you want to fish. Feather [slow down] the cast, with your other hand on the spool. The wool should show fairly clearly how deep the silt is, though you may need to do it a few times to get a clear idea. The depth can vary, by the way...

Your lead will sink in the silt. If you have a very short hooklength the lead will take your bait with it. The carp will not be able to see it of course, though if they root around in the silt a lot [the water would be highly coloured] it may actually help you to catch. Are you sure there is silt? Gravel pits sometimes have little or no silt. They tend to be deeper than clay pits, which are often very silty. The older the pit, the more likely to have deeper silt.

Somebody is bound to disagree with what I have said so you will get an alternative view! :wh