Carp off the top..

The Piker

Reaction score
How do you fish for carp off the top.???

I use fox in line floats,i paint a small area with red paint to show up a little better..

I use Diawa double strength for hook length, a size 10 or 12 strong hook..

And a hair rigged pop up boilie...cut down to look like a chum mixer.

Works a treat.........well most times..:w

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
How do you fish for carp off the top.???

I use fox in line floats,i paint a small area with red paint to show up a little better..

I use Diawa double strength for hook length, a size 10 or 12 strong hook..

And a hair rigged pop up boilie...cut down to look like a chum mixer.

Works a treat.........well most times..:w

Why cut a boilie down? just use chum mixer.

atilathehun99

Reaction score
carp off the top

i find feeding mixers little and often for a good period of time to get the carp feeding confidently before casting in works well the more confident the the feeding fish the greater chance of a bite..
regards steve.

emms1985

Reaction score
i see no point in NOT using a real mixer as hookbait. it wont last like a boilie but it is a mixer...and your feeding mixers, its logical. freeline WHEREVER possible.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Use 1 of them Fake Chum Mixers, they're supposed to be very good, just watched Ian Chilcott fishing with one on a Fishing TV video.
They have a little counter balance weight in them so they always land the same way up.

Last edited:

Bully

Reaction score
Much about the hook bait, little about the techniques of feeding etc. Personally I think the key to feeding off the top has very little to do with the bait used. I once caught one with with a grasshopper!

supgen

Reaction score
freelining is a great way to catch em' they tend not to spook with casting. soaked doggies work great on the hook at close range, never had the chance to fish at mid to long range on the surface.

get yourself some enterprise tackle fake mixers too... just for those tricky days. they have a bit more weight than a normal mixer, give better presentation, hook better and stand up to hard casts better. god I sound like a salesman!!! :p

sagalout

Reaction score
I make me own controllers. Get a cork, happily donated by the wine drinkers of the parish, drill a 2-3mm hole through the centre, put a length of 1mm twin&earth cable insulation (always laying around whilst re-wiring the house) through the hole and dab hot melt glue either end to hold it in place. Next cut a 6mm wide strip of lead of a sheet (left overs from a bay re-roof) wrap the right round and cover withinsulation tape. Much simpler than it sounds. Oh yeah, I use a float stop on the line to stop the controller moving.

I use sainsburys own brand mixer, drill and then pull a 3.2mm band mounted on the hair through to mount. If they aint having it of the top, swap the mixer for a pellet and the rig works as a pellet waggler.

Shine

Reaction score
Bread.... bread, bread, bread.

Havent found anything better for fishing off the top. Take off crust, wrap a slice around the hook (point of hook just poking out).Pinch down the edges. Can cast it even when free lining

The Piker

Reaction score
The reason i use a cut down pop up boily,is simple hair rigged it will last all day..

No faffing around putting on fidlely chum mixers all the time..

Caught some nice carp yesterday on my method up to high doubles,on the same boily cut down..

I have used the same rig all season only having to sharpen the hook now and again...But yesterday i did have to make up a new rig,when a carp messed up the old one..

It might sound lazy but it gives you more hours with a bait in the water,not faffing with putting on a new mixer all the time..

Out of interest i out fished my mate yesterday totally..

Whilst he was faffing....:w

klik2change

Reaction score
I totally agree with piker. The places where I have recently fished on the top have very suspicious fish! If they see a hook they're off! A cut-down pop up boilie [or a piece of cork] saves loads of time and fruitless casting energy. I used to test them at home to see how they floated, in an effort to hide the hook [not always successful!]. I found it best to use mixres when stalking, right under the rod tip.

I prefer to use bread anyway, using something like the bread roll rig, which used to be in the rig section on here. I use a whole slice of bread, tied in a tight roll with white cotton. The hook can be hidden inside it, it is heavy enough to cast a long[ish] distance, and it lasts for ages on the hook. Zig rigs sometimes work better than floaters...

As for feeding, I catapult mixers, Bakers biscuits, floating pellets, marshmallows or whatever, upwind of where I intend fishing. I start off with just a few, increasing as necessary

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Caught some reasonable carp to 16.5lb on bread this last week-actually it was anchored crust in a swim 12'deep!!(yes,12' deep)
Strong wind played havoc with floating baits so I put on a free running bomb stopped 3" from the hook(to stop bomb hitting the hook on the strike)and then cast into the desired spot under a tree and let the line go slack.I used a crust 2" square with plenty of white attached and allowed this to come to the surface(which takes a minute or so).This keeps the bread fairly stationary in the wind.
I then tighten up carefully to the bomb(until I just see the bread move on the surface)and wait for a cruising fish-in fact I sort of touch ledger in a way by holding the line between my fingers as this tells me if the fish has taken the bait or just swirled at it.
It never needs a strike as the fish moves off very quickly and almost self hooks itself!!

This is all just a play on the old method of'anchored crust'used 50 years ago in fairly shallow swims but I have made it work in very deep swims where I want the bait to be stationary and not moved by wind and drift.....and the line is vertical directly under the bait so no probs with the 'take'!

Over the last two weeks I have had 20 fish-wildies and mirrors using this method so I know it works and its a very exciting way of catching difficult fish-water depth doesn't matter at all!!!

ps line 10lb bs and hook size no 2 or 4!!

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Klik2change......I am not up to speed with the 'Zig Rig' (although I heard the name some years ago)SO PERHAPS YOU CAN EXPLAIN....I'm always willing to try any good idea!!
Not only that I can check that we are not talking at cross purposes..!

ps I did look on the rigs page but its not mentioned-probably too old and things have moved on!

Thanks for responding though...