Greys g - tec method feeder rod 13'

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one of these for Method Feeder fishing.

Does anyone actually own one, and would you like to make a recommendation, or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I use the Shakespeare Mach 3 at 11ft which comes with three tips and I find it brilliant at the price ((around £60) but they also do one at 12ft for long range but mine throws plenty far enough.

I know you Peter but don't be influenced by names when it comes to a crude tool like a method feeder they need to be powerful enough to throw 2 or 3oz method feeders and the Shaky does exactly that and handles big carp easily and hopefully barbel too- job done.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Thanks for that, I'll give the Shakey's a looking at.

The reason for the Greys is that my (3) Carp rods and my (3) Barbel rods are Greys and I've been extremely happy with them all.

Reaction score
Peter

I have the Greys Prodigy Barbel rod - I love it, a brilliant rod.

I have the 12ft, 1.75lb tc plus quiver top with four quivers.

Works great as a method rod with enough oomph to launch a heavy feeder, but prgresssive enough with its soft tip.

I also have a Fox Floodwater Barbel 12ft, 2.75lb plus quiver top. Again an excellent rod with plenty of back bone for big feeders. Swordsy has the 15ft version, which is excellent for big rivers or lauching a feeder to the horizon.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

I have 2 of the Greys Prodigy 1.75lb T/C in 2 piece, and another in 3 piece and love them for medium feeder fishing, but to launch a fully loaded method feeder 50/60 yards might need a little more guts to it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What sort/weight of method feeder are you thinking of Peter, I love this type combined with one of these it makes it so easy to get a perfect aerodynamic load.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I've been using both the Korum in-line and the Preston Method feeders, but fully loaded they are about 4 ounces, I'd imagine.

Thinking of venues like Clattercote too, where you need a decent cast of around 50/60 meters, and the strain on a Barbel quiver rod is too much, IMHO.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The recommended mainline for the Grey's g-tec 13 foot method feeder rod is 5lb - 12lb which sounds ideal enough, although i would have thought that most barbel rods in 1.75lb tc would be about the same.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
SV,

The problem with using a Barbel rod for heavy method work is that you really lose a lot in the casting stakes; at places like Clattercote you need a good 50-60 yards, with a fully loaded method feeder - not really ideal.

I am inclined to just buy the Greys and see how it goes.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've been looking at the specs of the Grey's rods recently and coming back to the method feeder it looks something along the lines of my Maver 13' feeder that will cast a brick.

Which you would chose between the 5oz and 6oz tips I have no idea, seem a bit samey to me, mine has 3 4 and 6ozs tips although I broke the 3 at .............. Clattercote! :mad::confused:

Look Peter, if you want a friendly recommendation, buy it and if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for a fiver. Now I can't say fairer than that now, can I?
:p

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Look Peter, if you want a friendly recommendation, buy it and if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for a fiver. Now I can't say fairer than that now, can I?

See, that's what FM is all about; selfless mates who will even part with their hard earned readies to help out a mate.

I feel . . . . . blessed . . . . . to have such a host of friends.

PS, think I'd opt for the 5oz tip for starters . . .

Paul B

Reaction score
Peter, have you looked at the Drennan method feeder rods, the nearest to the Greys being the 13ft series 7 method feeder at £90.

Doesn't come with a 5oz tip as standard though, sorry:)

I've not used one, only waggled one in the shop.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
have you looked at the Drennan method feeder rods, the nearest to the Greys being the 13ft series 7 method feeder at £90.

That is the alternative but as yet I've not even managed to get my hands on one in my local shop.

Drennan do make some very good rods; in the past I've had their light, medium and heavy feeder rods and the IM8 Bomb Rod, as well as the Drennan Waggler rods, all very good rods in their day.

This weekend I'll probably drive around and make the final decision.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
See, that's what FM is all about; selfless mates who will even part with their hard earned readies to help out a mate.

I feel . . . . . blessed . . . . . to have such a host of friends.

Peter, you know that if I only had 50pence to my name and you were skint, you'd be welcome to 25p's worth of it.

Generous to a fault, that's me. Especially for true mates like you.

PS: Now about those B James rods you were complaining about! ;)

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Dont forget Peter that Stu Dexter uses an original Preston Medium Feeder for his Clattercote work.He seems to manage OK!

Me thinks a a good bream rod will come in handy for the October match.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
How right you are Nigel, you don't need powerful rods to cast 60 yards, most decent feeder rods will do it easily including the Drennan Peter already has, what you need to do Peter is take one out and throw a loaded method feeder 60 yards just to prove it.

I only use the 1oz tip on my Shaky for pool work, yes, '1', ONE ounce just make sure the line is free before casting and I bagged up with it using the method at Clattercote a couple of months ago whilst fishing with Scott. Easy peasy. :wh

Reaction score
If I recall, the last time I was there Stu was using a 1.5lb tc Korum feeder rod plus a relatively small 'match size' reel.

Your barbel rods will be fine Peter (with quiver if you have them)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham and Matt,

The last time I fished Clattercote I used the Greys 1.75lb T/C Barbel rods and with a heavy method feeder I was right on the edge of where I wanted to cast to. The rods (great as they are for feeder fishing for Barbel on rivers) are being 'pushed' at those distances with accuracy.

I've used my Drennan rods on all sorts of venues but they too are 'straining' at 50/60 yards with a heavy(ish) feeder.
I've also tried out my old Milo Heavy Feeder, and my (2) Carbotec No. 3 Feeder rods as well. In fact, the Carbotecs get close, and without too much effort in the cast; and that results in being less accurate.

I thought that Preston did a heavy method feeder rod in the Carbonactive range, but can't seem to see one on't Internet.

I guess I'll just have to do the rounds of the tackle shops at the weekend.