how many of us

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have just come back from a 4 day session and while i was there i was wondering how many of us would be fishing for carp nowadays if we didnt have all the home comforts we now enjoy while fishing,what if we had to do it the old way i.e. sit up all night watching bread or silver paper on the line,i know i couldnt manage that any more

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting point.

I think that even when Walker was fishing Redmire he took a tent, although it was only used for storage purposes, and that he fished through the nights.

I doubt if I could manage a full two night session without the 'creature comforts' but your thread has given me an idea or two to try out next summer.

We are certainly a little spoiled these days with what is available to us for a couple of nights fishing; warm condensation-free bivvies, bedchairs, 4 season sleeping bags and covers, gas stoves and an inexaustible supply of light when needed. Not to mention convenience foods, decent radios and personal dvd players etc.

gator1215

Reaction score
i have just come back from a 4 day session and while i was there i was wondering how many of us would be fishing for carp nowadays if we didnt have all the home comforts we now enjoy while fishing,what if we had to do it the old way i.e. sit up all night watching bread or silver paper on the line,i know i couldnt manage that any more

This made me smile, i used to use fairy liquid tops for my bobbin (other washing up liquids are available) thought i would be political correct here lol.

but like you say when i was younger i had a chair a rod and that was it, if it rained i either got wet or went home lol

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A lump of dough or pinched flake in the 70's,a clear plastic or polystyrene tea beaker slit down the side attached on the line as a bobbin.

quattro

Reaction score
When I was a lad back in the sixties we'd have a night session on theThames at Teddington with a candle in a jar, or one of those paraffin hurricane lamps. The bobbin was usually a lump of bread paste or a cork with a slit in it on a bit of string. Those were the days. Don't think I could do it now:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I seem to recall some maniac suggesting balancing a coin on the rim of a reel's open spool with a hubcap underneath so that the coin fell into the hubcap alerting you when you had a run. This was recommended when margin fishing for big eels I think.Being young and impressionable me and my mate tried this.Only took about an hour to set up !

Madness.I dont know if it worked...we blanked and never tried it again.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to recall some maniac suggesting balancing a coin on the rim of a reel's open spool with a hubcap underneath

Which was a decent method of bite indication, unless of course you happened to live in Liverpool, Milton Keynes or parts of Wales; where hubcaps seemingly disappear without trace in nonoseconds of parking one's car.

[insert HUGE smiley thing>>>>>> HERE]

Cakey

Reaction score
we used to do it with a coin that dropped into a bucket
the bucket doubled as a tackle bag

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I would still go night fishing, but i wouldn't go for say, 3 or 4 days etc, sitting huddled up under a leaky umbrella on an old deck chair would probably do me in these days, i used to float fish using them snap glow light thingies attached to the top of my float, was great fun.

Nathan

Reaction score
I remember as a youngster when i'd sit up under a brolly with a nite lite on my float & i'd stay up for hours in the hope of that 'special' bite. Long on are those days - i need sleep now!
Although i find i can never get any sleep on the first nite of any trip. Im too exicted after planning the trip for weeks.

Oh and before i had proper bobbins for bite indication i used to use an old sewing bobbin with a semi-opened out paper clip attached so i could hook it on my line. I also carried a spare clothes peg as a back up bobbin :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I remember as a youngster when i'd sit up under a brolly with a nite lite on my float & i'd stay up for hours in the hope of that 'special' bite. Long on are those days - i need sleep now!

I still usually sit up if I can, watching a float if possible. The last time I night fished I went straight from work (I work nights).When We arrived at the water we lugged a mountain of gear to the bank. I set up two rods on buzzers, set up youngest son and started to set up my bivvy, no bivvy. I'd left it in the cupboard at home. Just them it started to rain. I had a brolly and spent the night under that. In the morning I felt like I had been starched, I was really stiff (and not in a good way). I don't think I'll forget it again.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
This is getting like the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

"And you tell that to children today and they won't believe thee"

I couldn't go back to the cold and wet nights purely on the grounds that I would find it difficult staying awake that long nowadays.