Angling snobbery : Does it still exist ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm sure it does to a degree but with so many more true "all round" anglers fishing for coase,sea & game fish perhaps not as marked as years ago ?

I coarse and game fish.I dont fish exclusive "trite" waters so I've never come across any Lord Melbury types but I've met a few who insist on fishing the "dray flay" to the exclusion of all else and this current "fashion" for wild trite and grayling I find a bit irritating.Why do they insist on talking of fish in cms ? I have absolutely no idea how big a 40 cm grayling is or a 20 cm wild trite though [apparently] that is the accepted specimen target.

I've just read an aricle where someone was bemoaning the fact that his best grayling of the day only went 38 cms.What is that in old money ?

klik2change

Reaction score
Speaking as a design and technology teacher I deplore the use of centimetres as a method of measurement. I always tell the kids that industry uses millimetres - only maths teachers [and now, it seems, trite anglers] use centimetres. The next time you meet one of these strange beasts, tell 'em to use millimetres!

Oh, and despite NOT being taught imperial measurement, a lot of kids use it quite correctly!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you will find that both snobbery and inverted snobbery still exists in the angling world to one degree or another.

As for Dry Fly fishing, I regularly fish a southern chalk stream that is Dry Fly only because that is the way it always used to be, and it is the way that the owners want it to remain.
Personally I don't have a problem with it at all, and it is a great way to fish. I'd rather fish that way than say, 'float' fish a wet fly under a marker "fly" - I won't get into the old argument of what is the most skillful; watching for a rise of a particular fish on a particular river, and casting a particular fly to it, versus stripping flashy lures deep through a reservoir. Each has its own skills and followers.

Each to their own in angling is a good enough adage, and I fish all methods for Coarse fish, running line and pole, and from time to time fish wet flies on a lake too.

As to the 38cm Trout, I think that is about 15 and a half inches, in good old money.

Red Army

Reaction score
An inch is 2.54 cm (or 25.4 mm) so a 38 cm (380 mm) fish is about 15 inches yes :D...looks bigger in cm or mm that's the only reason people use these units :wh

J K

Reaction score
Speaking as a design and technology teacher I deplore the use of centimetres as a method of measurement.

Me too, I always thought centimetres are used by school children and dressmakers.

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Speaking as a design and technology teacher I deplore the use of centimetres as a method of measurement. I always tell the kids that industry uses millimetres - only maths teachers [and now, it seems, trite anglers] use centimetres. The next time you meet one of these strange beasts, tell 'em to use millimetres!

Oh, and despite NOT being taught imperial measurement, a lot of kids use it quite correctly!

In the UK, we still use imperial measurements, so why talk in metric at all. Most of us of a few generations ago were never seriously taught anything in metric, and still measure in imperial, although I must confess, when I am messing about with a bit of DIY, sometimes I measure and talk imperial, and other times in metric.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You may remember that we were supposed to have gone to metric measurements in 1971, wasn't it? Yes, and 38 years later you kasskopfs can't get your brains around the simplest of calculations, that of tens and hundreds.

It doesn't matter what the measurement is in inches, you should know instinctively what 38cms looks like.

I bet you buy a pole in metres of length and you measure your line in points of a millimetre diameter, but woe betide someone tellign you to use 2.3kilo BS line or fishing with a 56cms tail from your feeder. May the earth open up and swallow them.

And heaven forbid that they should ever stop selling pints of maggots, worse still pints of beer over the bar.

Get your silly little heads into gear and accept it, we live in a METRIC world.

:mad::wh:cool::eek:

dezza

Reaction score
Snobbery is alive and well in the world of fly fishing make no mistake about that.

Particularly amongst those who fish for "wild brown trout" in rivers who look down upon the guy who fishes for rainbows in a stocked man made lake, whether it be a pond or a reservoir.

"Oh you don't really fish for those awful beastly rainbow trout do you?"

Most of these hurray henrys wouldn't actually know the difference between a rainbow and a brown - the hallowed Test being full of rainbows these days.

Oh and regarding the dray flay. Old **** Walker once made a delicate little fly rod for a rather charming titled lady who owned a preserved stretch of a Hertfordshire trout stream he had obtained permission to fish.

"Of course we only fish the dray flay heah!" she exclaimed as she pulled out of a cast packet a 3 fly leader with a range of north country wet flies tied to it.

To her, all flies were dry until they were cast in the water!

:w

---------- Post added at 05:11 ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 ----------

Oh and as regards inverted snobbery, I do get horribly ****** off by people who call fly fishing: "Fluff Flinging", mainly because they can't, or won't and never have done any fly fishing.

And none of the flies I tie contain any "fluff" whatsoever!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well that's the thing these days Ron.

In the trout fishing world, the guy who fishes for rainbows in a stocked man made lake is the equivalent to guy fishing for water pigs in a commercial mud puddle in the coarse fishing world.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Woe betide any Fly Fisherman fishing for Grayling, never mind Rainbow Trout.

Does snobbery still exist in Fishing ................... Absolutely.

Snobbery exists in every walk of Life.

I don't mind the Snobs, they are what they are, but i absolutely deplore those that think they are Snobs just because they have a lot of Money.

Reaction score
Golly gosh...is it that time of year already....always feel it's so jolly nice of Graham to let the oiks have their own thread once a year.

It will soon be the run up to Yule when those of us in the PaSC throw dry flies at the choristers from St.Ringers of Waterpig as they sing their traditional "Pastie Wassail" :wh:wh:w:cool:

Last edited:

ahab

Reaction score
Oh and as regards inverted snobbery, I do get horribly ****** off by people who call fly fishing: "Fluff Flinging", mainly because they can't, or won't and never have done any fly fishing.

And none of the flies I tie contain any "fluff" whatsoever!

I take it then Ron you do not use any of the thousands of fly patterns that contain dubbing such gold ribbed hares ears or nymphs.

Because dubbing is waste from the textlile industry, carpet manufactures etc.

In short the vast majority of dubbing is textile fluff, nothing more nothing less and fly tyers would be lost without the stuff.

That is the simple reason why you and they are called fluff chuckers.

:wh:wh

ahab

Reaction score
I have a friend who works at a well known carpet manufactures.

He tells me that when the carpets are woven the pile is trimmed for height. The waste is collected from all manner of man made synthetics in a wide range of colours and stored and packed for well many known fly- fishing companies.

The waste fluff (dubbing) is sold under all sorts of exotic names, possum, polar bear, hare's ear, (even though you can buy the original mask many believe the synthetic version is far better, more robust, more shades).

So Ron, fluff chucking would appear to be an accurate appropriate term.