Seven Months To Go

dezza

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have noticed but it's only 7 months or so to when we have a general election. In the run up to this, many will be trying to make up their minds where to put their cross.

I know we are not supposed the bring politics into these discussions, but we can if we stick to angling politics.

OK, what do you think a change of government will mean for our beloved sport? Having read all the promises and policies from the Conservatives, it does seem that they will back all field sports, including angling to the hilt, as well as changing several of the laws governing the ownership and usage of firearms.

The ban on fox hunting will go! The promise has been made!

But what do you think?

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Oh and could we keep this debate about field sports and in a good spirit.:cool:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Unfortunately Ron I don't think it's as simple as which party will support field sports. The next 5 years will be critical from a number of standpoints: economic growth, environmental issues, regional development, etc, etc.

We need to look at the future of our sport as part of a wider picture and this might mean taking a view that, whatever party is elected, angling will be safe from new legislation for the their term of office and wetherefore need to look at which party has joined up policies that will give us long term benefit. I for one won't just blindly vote for a party that says it will repeal legislation on fox hunting.

I'm looking for policies that will give us sustainable growth, sensible controls on what companies can and can't do (flood plain development, pollution regs with teeth) and some sensible thoughts on how we regain control of utility companies.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

And that was a reply on the subject of field sports!

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from Sean and certainly the utilities, particularly the water companies need sorting out. Thames water for instance is one of the worst polluters in the UK and the EA turn a blind eye at the dumping of raw sewage during times of spate.

I am still waiting for an answer from the Conservative Party regarding the raw sewage issue by the way. I did receive an acknowlegement and I have been assured that my question will be answered. This is more than I can say for the Labour Party. Absolutely nothing!

But in the main, we should be interested in the support we will get and this will be considerable if all anglers can organise a national front. That's what the Conservatives say.

klik2change

Reaction score
there's already a national front so maybe we should all join that
not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

this will be considerable if all anglers can organise a national front. That's what the Conservatives say.

Did they actually say that or did you just infer it from something or other?

Don't forget the tories are also politicians Ron, as well as all the others. They want your vote by hook or by crook!

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

We do live in interesting times, as the saying goes. The labour party will get a lot of votes, including mine. Much of the opposition to government policies is froth [or should that be scum? Are froth and scum used for fly tying?]

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

quattro

Reaction score
I know we are not supposed the bring politics into these discussions, but we can if we stick to angling politics.

I agree Ron, you should not bring politics into a fishing forum, especially your reactionary right wing ones. I'm sure there are other places you can air your views but IMO this is not the place.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's already a National Front so maybe we should all join that. :cool:

There the only ones who seem to really give a dam about the countries identity. I know the old image is still a stigma but the party has vastly improved. They're the only ones who seem concerned about the closures of old folks homes, building on greenbelt land, pollution, the NHS etc etc. There gonna get my vote in any case and it seems that they are growing in popularity amazingly fast. I know we'll get the usual "there a buch of racists and nazies" but a lot of the older generation of asians,blacks and so on are voting for them.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Just remind us Ron, which party/government sold off the countries utilities, and at a rock bottom price. For years before the privatisation of the water authorities all customers of the Northumbria Water Authority had their water rates loaded to pay off the building of Kielder Water to make it an even more attractive sell off.

I doubt I'll change my voting intentions no matter what the Tories promise and especially over what is loosely described as 'angling politics'. As for 'field sports', I doubt the majority of anglers would ever relate to that tag. As this is an angling web site, a red herring.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Oops we're getting a bit off subject here! It was intended as a joke guys - lets not get into fights over polictics!

The question Ron raised was can you decide who gets your vote in a general election from a fishing point of view.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i wouldnt trust any of them they are all as bad as each other they will promise you anything to get your vote and then forget you, angling will be very low on their list of importance i know there are are a few exeptions to the rule but mostly they are self serving liars,it seems that they just cant help themselves

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I agree.Whoever gets in will have their hands full and I can't see angling or indeed field sports being high up their agenda.Frankly...they would get no thanks for it with the economy & country the way it is.

Sadly,there just arent enough of us to make our vote worth courting.We've had the odd angler in positions of influence before but did much change ?

I'm in the Tory heartland.I shall vote for whoever I think has the best chance of stopping them because however bad a fist Labour has made of it the Tories will be worse....and the Lib Dems would cack themselves if they got in.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sadly,there just arent enough of us to make our vote worth courting.

Ah but that's where you could be wrong!

Even with just a million anglers switching their vote, plus their wives/girlfriends, mothers/fathers perhaps, sons etc. it doesn't take much to mount up 4 or 5 million. Far more than swing elections, about 300,000 usually. However, there's so many, too many for my liking, that will vote for the party they've always voted for, as did their fathers and their grandfathers, that they wouldn't change even if their own livelihood was directly threatened or that party threatened to take their children away and sell them on the international slave market. It's what is known as dogmatism.

Anyway, I'm in the Tory's 22nd safest seat, no chance of doing anything even if I wanted to and believe me I did try once. Oh David Owen, where did it all go wrong? We could have done it without them damned Liberals. Did I really waste those 6 years? I still like Shirley though, not as much now of course.

I shall probably vote for some poor schmuck of an independant who's in danger of losing his deposit. Until we get true STV proportional representation their isn't much point of doing anything else. Damn them all and their eyes.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
If anyone thinks angling isn't a field sport thats debatable. But I wouldn't try to segregate it, antis will see it exactly the same. If shooting got attacked angling will only be next on the list.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone thinks angling isn't a field sport thats debatable. But I wouldn't try to segregate it, antis will see it exactly the same. If shooting got attacked angling will only be next on the list.

Well said Christian.

Ron,

I think you will find that all Mr. Cameron has 'promised' to do with regard to the ridiculous Hunting Bill is to allow a "free vote" on the subject.

That said, and after the "free vote" one wouldn't expect him to invoke the invidious Parliament Act when the House of Lords reject the Bill.

dezza

Reaction score

Angling certainly is a field sport in that it is one of the purest forms of hunting known. Spot on Christian!

Please keep this thread to field sport concerns. The main issue is that which party will not interfere with angling, or other field sports for that matter. After recently spending a great deal of time with manifestos, the reading of speeches etc, it appears to me that angling will be safest in the hands of the Conservative Party rather than the others. Well that's my conclusion for what it is worth.

Now let's debate this issue in a logical and respectful manner.

The bad one

Reaction score
Angling certainly is a field sport in that it is one of the purest forms of hunting known. Spot on Christian!

Please keep this thread to field sport concerns. The main issue is that which party will not interfere with angling, or other field sports for that matter. After recently spending a great deal of time with manifestos, the reading of speeches etc, it appears to me that angling will be safest in the hands of the Conservative Party rather than the others. Well that's my conclusion for what it is worth.

Now let's debate this issue in a logical and respectful manner.

Given today's report on rivers, is it safe in any of their hands?

They're all part of that house of extortion and none (Salter accepted) have said a thing, as our rivers have gone down the sh..hole at any point in the recent past!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I still dont think field sports is high enough on any of the main parties for them to actually have a real policy on it.I agree with Woody's assessment...there probably are enough to make a difference IF people could be arsed....but I dont think they can be and frankly your average voter [field sport supporter or not] probably thinks the economy,NHS & the mortgage rate is more important right now....me included.

It would be interesting to see what happened if there was a "clear & present" threat...which is not to say there isn't a threat already but I question if the will is truly there.The fox hunting ban was IMO steeped in traditionalist Labour Toff hunting strategies and clearly aimed 1] at Toff and 2] at gaining the populist vote in London.God I was so sick of the bigotted nonsense Tony Banks used to spout on this when I think all he was doing was making damned sure he kept his seat on the expenses gravy train & got his fizzog on telly often enough to satisfy his huge self promoting ego.

Intimating that there will be a "free vote" on hunting I dont think will bring it back.It will simply allow Cameron [lets assume] to claim the moral high ground of saying he did it while the Whips make damned sure the vote preserves the status quo.I passionately disagree with the ban for a number of reasons despite never having hunted or followed a hunt myself. I am sick to death of politicians teling me they know better and while I am not agin change per se I do not think you can just bin hundreds of years of tradition simply to generate a headline and court the "young" vote.

Unfortunately the voting habits of this country are a disgrace.The politics of personality will prevail and Cameron is a shoe in because lots of mums will vote for him simply because "he looks like a nice family man".Policies will count for nowt.

I confess to a disgraceful apathy on my part thinking that it will all go away.I honestly believe it will but as to whose hands I think our sport is safest in I really dont think any of them actually give a stuff.They will do what they like irrespective of what we,the people,say.

But however hopeless it might seem I will vote.I always do.Not to do so I think shows complete disrespect for the people who gave everything so that I could. This is still the greatest democracy in the world.

Reaction score
None of them....

they've all got to make cuts and increase taxes in order to fund the bail out of the banks....

so health and education are "relatively safe", defence (well it appears safe but ...listening to family in forces...defence is virtually bankrupt)...anyway....

they'll do things with energy to prove their green credentials....and the environment agency is there with its soft underbelly already exposed for the sacrificial knives of all the major parties.

(good to see you back Christian......not so young Bunion)

Poshers