centrepins and baitrunners

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Before fixed spool reels ,most reels were centrepins of some kind.The modern engineered pins that spin forever are surely designed for trotting. I cant understand why some anglers use them for leger tactics.

Can anyone confirm that the baitrunner reel was invented for uptide live baiting,from a boat,hence baitrunner,not modern carp fishing..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If using a CP for ledgering you can just put the ratchet on as an alarm and put tension on when using a CP for ledgering in running water to hold position, just like the baitrunner facility on a baitrunner.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the baitrunner reel was invented for uptide live baiting,from a boat,hence baitrunner,not modern carp fishing..

If it was, then it wasn't in this country. I was up-tiding on boats skippered by Bob Cox and John Rawles who are widely acknowledged as the instigators of this method, when this method was in it's infancy. The preferred reels at the time were Diawa Millionaires or small ABU's (both multipliers).

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes true enough Peter. Baitrunner reels were originally designed for sportfishing in the USA. Perfect for livebaiting for snook, cobia etc. The British carp scene was a tiny market in comparison at that time (early 80's).

noknot

Reaction score
Geoff is 100% correct!

The original baitrunners were produced by Shimano for the U.S. Market, and were called the "Seaspin" The rest is history;)

And yes the UK Carp scene at that time was tiny compared with todays explosion, the main reels of the day were the ABU Cardinal 55 and the larger 57's and the Mitchel coffee grinders, you can guess which ones I used:D

Last edited:

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I had a pair of the older type shimano baitrunners.They were squarish in design as opposed to the more modern rounded design and i`m sure they were called seaspin ???

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
A pin was designed for fishing with , just a method to hold line and reel in a fish. What ever way an angler wants to use it is surely up to him . I for one have used them for legering and also fishing for carp close in , lovely way to fish as they can just run instead of taking the rod off the rest. And as i dont fish for carp that often it saves me spending a fortune on a baitrunner. I have a good selection of shimanos, and mitchells , but i,ll choose a pin anyday. But thats my choice.You don,t have to understand it , it wont make a lot of difference to your life if you did. Just understand that were all different and get enjoyment in different ways , mine is useing pins , yours it seems is baitrunners , so beit ,enjoy yourself , thats what fishing is all about. Tight lines.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Maybe I should have asked the questions on two seperate threads. I wasnt comparing the two different types of reel. Of course if its your tackle you can do what you want with it,I have 3 centrepin reels and 2 shimano baitrunner reels.The pins I use for trotting,and on the rare occasion I go carp fishing,usually in the close season,I use baitrunners. If I am feeder or ledger fishing I prefer to use a match reel,and watch the tip of my rod. I also agree that if one is fishing close in, any reel you fancy will do the job,and if I was fishing close in I'd use a float,but my feeder work usually requires a longer chuck than is possible with a pin. My question about baitrunners was to do with their original purpose.
tight lines....

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have two centrepins, one I use for trotting and float fishing in general,the other for close to the bank freelining.
I use my baitrunners for fishing weight out in the current.

Nearly there!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've reached 150000 posts but my counter only shows 5121 - I think the ones Peter Jacobs edits/deletes don't count

How's the cold Poshers - still bed bound?

Last edited by a moderator:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I prefer to play a fish on a pin any day - but my fav fixed spool reels are still my original 3500 Triton Seaspins dating from the early/mid 80s. These are rather clanky these days :) so I just bought a pair of the slightly larger 3500B baitrunners in the States. These look the same as the original Tritons but only time will tell if they will be as durable. As an aside, I was told by the reel salesman in Bass Pro that the 3500b has now been discontinued and will be replaced by the 4000 Baitrunner. This is supposed to be 10oz lighter than the 3500B. (which suggests the new ones will have plastic bodies instead of alloy - hence me getting the older reels rather than waiting for the new ones)

And congratulations to Fred!