method mix

quickcedo

Reaction score
Been using the "method" this year with some good results. The question is:-
I was wondering if anyone has any views on how long the mix should take to break up. Chucked mine into a bucket of water (with method feeder) it took about 15 minutes to break away from the feeder. Is this about right? Is there any advantage in making it break down slower or indeed faster. All the best Mark.

supgen

Reaction score
tis a good method for me! depends what you want the mix to do really. if you want to get some bait out at the same time, and if you are casting regularly, then a mix that breaks down quickly will suit, and vice versa. also a mix that takes longer to break down will make the carp work harder to get their food, and they will compete more.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Cheers for that. So if I've got this right, it would depend on how well the lake is fishing. ie lots of fish feading- quicker breakdown, more feed. If the fish aint really having it the a slower breakdown to create competition for a small amout if feed. Please correct if I have been a dumb ar*e!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You can also use "Stodge and Splodge" - an inner core of stiff mix the fish have to peck at, and a coating of much softer groundbait to come off as the feeder sinks and in the first seconds thereafter, to lay flavour/sight trails through the water to your "hotspot".
It also works with bread-based groundbaits , a slick of soft mash round a feeder of stiff crumb. "Advertising pays!", as they used to say.

Last edited:

supgen

Reaction score
partly true mark, sometimes it can be the other way round too- a stiffer mix will avoid the attention of smaller fish better, and it might be that on a low stock water that you need a bit of leakage to attract the fish.

what type of waters do you fish?

very good point by alan- especially if you place your hookbait in between the two layers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can also try pellets as method bait. Get some dry pellets and put in a bowl,pour some boiling water on them(just covered) and leave to cool.Drain them off and they're ready to go. Just mould them on like method mix,a lot of them should also maintain their shape. Brilliant for bream.

quorky

Reaction score
i use just rolled oats and heap . i find useing pelletsgets the bream feeding

Foxy

Reaction score
I love fishing the method, much prefer it to boilies but when theres bream about your in for a sleepless night

quickcedo

Reaction score
partly true mark, sometimes it can be the other way round too- a stiffer mix will avoid the attention of smaller fish better, and it might be that on a low stock water that you need a bit of leakage to attract the fish.

what type of waters do you fish?

very good point by alan- especially if you place your hookbait in between the two layers.

I live on a narrow boat on the Oxford canal. So a lot of my carp fishing is done there. (a very underated bit of carp fishing). The fish are generally not "educated" but can still prove quite elusive as of course they can move quite some way if badly spooked. So I tend to feed them every day and try to restrict my fishing to one or two days a week.

supgen

Reaction score
perfect! I have had most of my carp from canals, and the majority were caught on the method- my fave mix's for canals are soaked trout pellets (2/3mm) with hemp and maggot and fake maggots on a hair left loose, or swimstim green with hemp corn and either fake sweetcorn or pepperami on a hair tucked into the groundbait. make sure you give them a slack line so they can move the method ball around unhindered, I find that they knock it about a lot before having the hookbait. I fish on the leeds liverpool at bingley.

quickcedo

Reaction score
What a top man!!! Been getting false/dropped runs. couldn't figure out what was going wrong. Whilst my line is not tight it prob. hasn't been slack enough to allow movement of the feeder. Even so my catch rate has risen quite dramatically since using the method. but always looking to improve. As an aside, my pb canal carp is 30lb 3oz (Kennet and Avon canal) and 19lb 10oz on the Oxford. How big do they run at your end ?

supgen

Reaction score
a really light bobbin should help, I've got a tiny nash one that is perfect for the job. thats a big canal fish! they go 25lb + up here but my pb is a mere 20lb 5oz, a ghostie too, caught in the depths of winter on a zig rig :p