Method feeder

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Over the weekend at the Trent when the fishing was slow - we had a sit down and a few pint (cheers Neil) and a general fishing chat. On the subject of the method feeder it seems that more than one of us present did not ahve the confidence to use this and preferred the ground bait feeder.

Since returning home I rell there being 2 main ways to fish the Method , ground bait of softend pellets - which do you prefer and which works the best on your waters?

Over to you

supgen

Reaction score
both :p my fave gbait for the method is swimstim green and pellets would be anything in 3mm and soaked with boiling water overnight.....

Waveney One

Reaction score
Method

At the Suffolk Water Park we have had a steady progression. Well perhaps a number of changes over the years is a better way of putting it. Initially when it opened it was the groundbait feeder all the way. Then we moved to groundbait on the method and if you fished a G/B feeder you struggled. This last year it has been pellets on the method and with G/B on the method you will struggle.

I think that as the fish get caught so many times on one thing they will avoid it and you have to move on.

Waveney One

Reaction score
method on rivers

I have yet to use the method on a river. I am looking forward to using it but on the R Yare where I will be using it the bream don't like pellets or indeed any fishmeal as yet.

Reaction score
I've made used a 'method ball' on the Ribble by squeezing dampened pellets around a large watch lead (or gripper).

I haven't soaked pellets though. The pellets I use just need dampening to make them very sticky. I put some pellets in a tub before I tackle up and cover them with river water. Straight away I drain of all the water. I then add a good glug of CSL.

By the time I have tackled up they are sticky enough to squeeze into a ball, hold in a feeder on to squeeze onto a method feeder or lead.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
On a Lake the theory is that method groundbait works quicker and better especially in the summer but I've caught well (carp and bream) using pellets and prefer them.

The barbel fanatics who used to inhabit the lower Severn swore by a large pellet method feeder and I think it works better as well but many others prefer a pva bag containing a mixture of broken pellets and boilies with a flavoured groundbait.

I suppose its what you have confidence in like everything else but reason suggests if the barbel like pellets then a method feeder using pellets should work especially as the pellets are softened as well.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The method is a totally different prospect on rivers and probably delivers feed no differently than from a normal feeder in the flow. I have squeezed damp pellets and paste round the lead before now.

It is the still water, match style method I cannot get to grips with. I have only ever tried it with groudbait though and it is just practice and confidence I am lacking I suppose as there is no doubt it works for many succesful anglers.

The next Clattercote match I'll give it a go with pellets instead - see if I can actually catch a fish on it as, to date, I have never managed one.

supgen

Reaction score
It is the still water, match style method I cannot get to grips with. I have only ever tried it with groudbait though and it is just practice and confidence I am lacking I suppose as there is no doubt it works for many succesful anglers.

The next Clattercote match I'll give it a go with pellets instead - see if I can actually catch a fish on it as, to date, I have never managed one.

do you mean the flat feeders? if so these are designed to work best with groundbait- and they work even better in conjunction with a method mould such as the preston ones. They are dynamite for carp, just make sure your gear is up to the takes!

Waveney One

Reaction score
moulds

The moulds work perfectly well with pellets as well. If you want a long accurate cast then the mould is the way to go. At this time of the year, I am thinking of reducing my feeder to the from the large 30 gramme one to the small 30 gramme one. It casts like a bullet with pellets from the mould.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I used one of those preston method feeder moulds and flatbed feeders at the clattercote match and was quite impressed with them.
I used soaked/dampened pellets instead of groundbait and not expensive ones either....ones from poundland.
I had a bream within the first 5 mins but nether caught owt else until the later stages of the match.

Regarding the use of method feeders on rivers,i think peoples lack of confidence is due to their belief that the pellets/groundbait around the feeder is being wased away with the current???
Perhaps a more stickier mix like vitalin,wrapped around a more traditional method feeder,rather than a flatbed bed one might be the answer???

Last edited:

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
So if trying the method feeder on a river, would you .......

A. keep the hooklength very short?

B. Increase the length and if so, how long?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Unless fishing slack water I think a method style approch on rivers ends up pretty much the same as an open ended feeder - i.e, all the bait washes down-stream. With this in mind I'd use the same hooklength as with an open ended feeder.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Paul,

It is a fantastic method and I have had some great bags at Clattercote(not in a match I might add).

The in "method" now seems to be a combination of groundbait amd dampened pellets with the groundbait providing attraction and the pellets the feed element.

I think the key aspect is regularity of casting.Having the discipline when things are slow to keep casting in the hope the fish will come is not easy.If you cut down on casting because the fish are not initially there you will struggle.

One thing to point out is that dampened paeelts can come off in deepish water unless really squeezed around the feeder.Anything over 8 foot i'd be inclined to fish with a stiff groundbait mix or a pellet feeder which keeps the pellets in more.

supgen

Reaction score
the idea of the method is to make the mix stay on the feeder- a lot different than a standard open end. So I would stick with short hooklengths and the bait bound to the feeder, and I think a flat feeder would be even better for rivers as it would be more aerodynamic in the flow and easier for barbel to get at. Just specualtion and logic though, im not experienced with barbel and coarse fishing on rivers.

Waveney One

Reaction score
the idea of the method is to make the mix stay on the feeder- a lot different than a standard open end. So I would stick with short hooklengths and the bait bound to the feeder, and I think a flat feeder would be even better for rivers as it would be more aerodynamic in the flow and easier for barbel to get at. Just specualtion and logic though, im not experienced with barbel and coarse fishing on rivers.

I think that you are a little out of date there jonnie. When first invented the G/B mix was stodgy and stayed on the feeder. Then there was the hard centre and a softer coating that was designed to melt away. Now most match anglers at any rate have moved to G/B or pellets that fall away almost immediately the feeder hits the bottom.

On rivers I would go back to the stodgy G/B that broke down slowly and a short hooklink. Either a fat bed or a 3 pronged method feeder would be best. Avoid anything that would be giving you a round ball of G/B.

supgen

Reaction score
fairplay I probably am, but for the arguments sake for a river I wouldnt see the point with a mix that would just wash off the feeder- see post #15

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
On the river you need to pack the method tight with either groundbait, pellet or a mixture of both so the feeder hits the bottom fully loaded remember the flow can be almost zero on the riverbed so it still acts pretty much as it does in a lake. In high water conditions this can change of course.

The secret is knowing how to make a mix and know for sure it hasn't come off on the way down to the bottom. I feel more comfortable with a 1ft to 2ft hooklength on a river but that isn't to say its the best way, just my preference.