Ultrabite

C

Chris Bishop

Loads and loads of 'em are being caught on the stuff, claims an ad in this week's AT. I'm no carper but I do read the weeklies cover to cover most weeks and can't recall a single mention of anyone saying they've caught a carp using it.

So what's going on..?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Would you tell what you were having it off on?????

The stuff is absolutely useless by the way, He He He, all the more for me.

C

Chris Bishop

Hundreds of big carp have fallen for this, it says. Is it snide..?

C

Chrisx Ess

I've been using Ultrabite for some months now. In that time, I've only blanked twice, but that proves little. Ultrabite, for those who don't know, works by spreading pheromones in the water, which are detected by the fish, and which encourage the fish to feed. The implication is that the fish will feed automatically, if they detect the ultrabite stimulant in the water. There is an Ultrabite site on the web, which is singularly UNinformative. I can't say that NOT using it makes much difference, as I've made no attempt to systematically record my catches. Ultrabite make many claims, but none of the 'evidence' they claim to publish on the web seems to be there - though I may well be mistaken about that. Perhaps they have a rep who will do the honours? All the same, it's now a regular ingredient in my method mix. I admit to being somewhat sceptical about Ultrabite's benefits, though I know one or two other highly reputable individuals, who use it on a regular basis for sea fishing, who insist it works extremely well for them. There are several related concoctions, by the way, for a range of species and fishing methods.
We can hardly be surprised at the company concerned targeting yet another product at a sector of the angling market famous for its generous distribution of its surplus income - can we?

C

Chrisx Ess

I forgot to mention that I asked a question about Ultrabite a couple of weeks ago, and nobody replied at all. Hardly popular then?

S

Simon Webster

Ultrabite.... Hmmmmm. I have the a copy of the patent for Ultrabite in my office. The only active ingredient in the "Carp formula" is a sex steroid called progesterone. OK, I fully expect that this, or its conjugates will be detected by carp, and indeed , the levels in the bait are somewhat alarmingly high, bearing in mind that progesterone can be easily converted to various oestrogens.... and we all know about them! I would think that it would work though, but since I have access to shedloads of various steroids and their metabolites, I'll probably make my own up! Yours, with breasts and an oestrous cycle,(Oops!) Simon.

R

RobD

Ultrabite,

I was asked by Ultrabite to put a link to their site on a site which I run..... I didn't mind doing this at all, I took the oppertunity to ask them if they would like some of our members do run a short field test after which we would publish the results....I was totally blanked, I'd say either they was too big to bother or they know the stuff simply isn't up to the challenge... I reckon the latter.

Two angling shops which I guess I shouldn't mention have had nothing but bad reports back about the stuff, the only people that seem to benefit are those using it in the tiniest amounts.

All this said and done using supposed miracle ingredients does have the effect of giving people confidence on the bank, this is a good thing of course as the more confidence you have in your angling and what your doing the more patience you'll have and probably the more you'll catch so it's not all bad even if the stuff is not what its cracked up to be and I'd suggest from what I've heard its not...... I guess I should test it myself something keeps telling me not to waste my time.

C'ya, Robin.

C

Chris Bishop

I've noticed with carp baits that some seem to have a succesful angler or two plugging them, with fish to prove it.

I'll freely admit I know little about carp fishing but I don't see how a sex hormone is supposed to stimulate appetite.

Surely fish are only bonking for a few weeks of the year, the rest of the time they're cruising around filling their fat faces and trying to keep their butts out of our landing nets.