spinnerbait evolution

supgen

Reaction score
After my success yesterday (see my blog) on my DIY spinnerbaits I had a go at improving them. Here are the mk1's;

25PICT0004.jpg

bitten off tail!

65PICT0005.jpg

they worked really well, but I felt that they could be improved on. The shad version was a little heavy, and sank quickly so I felt it needed more uplift. Also the wire ended up quite warped by the end of the day, either due to the long arms of the lure of the light guage of wire, and I felt the arms were too long anyway as I could feel some 'hits' where the blade would cut out but there was no weed on the line, perhaps the reason why the tail was bitten off rather than a fish hooked. The minnow version suffered when retrieved at speed, so I fitted the new version with a smaller blade. I dispensed with the snap links for a stronger split ring which also helped reduce the length. So here are the mk2's;

20PICT0001.jpg

heavy guage wire, extra blade on the top arm to add resistance and uplift

12PICT0002_3_.jpg

light guage wire and smaller blades, less resistance and warping, and will fish deeper than the first

49PICT0003.jpg

smaller blade

---------- Post added at 04:04 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

I plan for the mk3's to have ball bearing swivels, painted blades and possibly a weeldess hook/jig set-up, I like the look of banana jigs. The fish seem to hold onto the soft plastics a bit longer.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m all for making your own lures and there is some satisfaction to be had by catching with them as well.
Can you tell me what wire you used and where you got it from etc..... did you have to use a special tool to form the loops in it etc....
I have some shads at home that could do with jazzing up a bit.

supgen

Reaction score
I got all my bits and pieces from here;

http://www.diylures-flies.co.uk/

but I think they have had to close down hence the link doesnt work, but you can still get similar stuff from here-

http://www.fishingpool.co.uk/product_home.php

you don't need any special equipment, I just use some fine long nose pliers, grip the wire in the jaws and wrap the wire around and twist, easily done. There dead easy to make too!

I use 30lb bs split rings and any swivel should do.

supgen

Reaction score
wish I could remember.... I think the fine stuff was 0.024'' this stuff works better than the thicker stuff.