rod, and line advice please..

tony 7

Reaction score
hi everyone..

where i fish are 2 lakes, both stock carp, well having had my rod break/ snap, and line last week, i now need to upgrade my set-up..( it was a float rod...lol )

im fishing for carp, and all i have is a shimano hyperloop 2500rb reel with a 4lb main line, and i have been tld i need a bigger reel/ line..

so whats a nice carp rod, and set-up..
as you can read from my intro im new to fishing, and i plan to go to maidstone anagling next week to get what i hope you guys believe will be a half decent set-up..

the carp range from 4-10lb bottom lake, to 25lb +top lake, id like to fish in both..

Thanks.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
a 12 foot 2¾ lb test curve rod
A 8000 size baitrunner reel
12lb mainline.

That will cover most Carp fishing situations that most Carp Fishermen will find themselves fishing.

The only time i would step up the size of the Rod and Reel would be if i was doing a lot of Snag Fishing or if i wanted to Fish at extreme range say, over 120 yards.

But as a General all round set up, the first set up will have plenty of power, should cast 100 yards without to many problems and will land you big fish without pulling the head clean off of them :D

tony 7

Reaction score
thanks Viper..

any "good" rod names i should be looking out for?..

i dont want to be spending hundreds, but i dont want to " bundle deal" rod and kits...lol

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fox, Shimano, Nash, Chub, Daiwa to be honest there are a load of really good Carp rods out there for under £100.00p that will certainly do the Job for you.

Fox Warrior
Chub Outkast
Nash Venom
Daiwa Mission X
Shimano Hyperloop BX

tony 7

Reaction score
il crack on now, and see what i can find on google...lol

im guessing a carbon carp rod for £100 is a long shot?..

Frothey

Reaction score
if you can get to dartford, pop into the tackle box - top anglers and advice, and they have some really well priced starter kits. I think a lot of them are on their "holiday" in France this week though.

don't fall into the trap of thinking you need big test curve for big fish, 2 1/4lb is plenty, as is 10lb line. anything more and the 4-10lb'ers will hardly put up a fight.

tony 7

Reaction score
thank you Frothey, il make sure i check them out. :)

and i do like a good fight, so i will take that into account also mate.
Thanks.

richiekelly

Reaction score
sv has given you some good advice, i use chub outkast rods,they are not to stiff and are still nice to play fish on and although the biggest chuck i need on the water i am fishing at the moment is around 70 yards i know that they will cast a good way further if i need it on another water,if you shop around they can be found for well under £100,good luck with your tackle shopping and fishing

my advice would be to buy the best quality you can afford

tony 7

Reaction score
thanks blanker..

having just spoken to the o/h she has told me i need to help her with her phone bill so i dont have the funds now to spend the £100 i was intending to this evening...lol

im not to fussed, as she paid for my day ticket for saturday, and sunday, so now i need some reall help if possible..

i have £28.00 to play with, and i have no rod for the weekend. :(

i am lucky she does not know i have this in my paypal account..lol

so..

here is a rod i have found, what do you think, will it be o.k for this weekend?
or can you find anything better for the poor amount i have to spend.
anyone on here got a better one i could buy?..

sorry to be a pain, i just dont want to waste 2 day tickets.

here is the rod..

Click here!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A rod like that will work. We all have to start somewhere and it's about 1000 times better than my first rod!
Make sure you have the clutch on the reel explained to you - this is very important to avoid breaking lines.
Don't ignore 2nd hand tackle. Now summer has ended there will be a lot of bargains up for grabs.

tony 7

Reaction score
thank you geoffmaynard..

id never refuse anything free....lol

i understand the clutch, spent 2 hours in the shop talking about it, well i dont "know".. im learning, but ive got a small ideaof what im doing.. :)

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

thank you geoffmaynard..

id never refuse anything free....lol

i understand the clutch, spent 2 hours in the shop talking about it, well i dont "know".. im learning, but ive got a small idea of what im doing.. :)

richiekelly

Reaction score
have a look on the used tackle (dragon carp ) website i know its not the best tackle in the world but as geoffmaynard says we all have to start somewhere they sometimes do carp rods for as little as £10

tony 7

Reaction score
i have had a look on there, but there deliver charge is high.. :(

i did see wychwood (sp?) rods, 12ft etc.. for £15, cork handle etc etc..

but again, if i can find one on flee bay, or a second hand one thats a wee bit better, i would rather buy that..

does anyone know of, or could link me to a rod they think will cover my £28 budget?..

Thanks.

Shine

Reaction score
As Frothey says, The Tackle Box will help you out.
The Tackle Box
251 Watling Street
Dartford
Kent, DA2 6EG
01322 292400

As for something a little closer to you, if you can get £90 the this set up from Rod & Line in Chatham looks like a very good deal...

http://www.rodnline.com/3889497/Shimano-Baitrunner-Carp-Pack-2009.html

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Opps, sorry, just seen you dont have £90.... :eek: