Stainless Steel Hooks - Time for a Change.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
After reading the article I think I would agree that stainless steel hooks were better, however we must all strive to release Pike or any other fish for that matter without a hook in them. Education and instruction on hook removal is always going to be the top favourite but if you do have to leave a hook in a fish then why not a stainless one. I'm not going to rush out and replace all the hooks on my lures and traces to stainless overnight but I will certainly be buying stainless ones in future.

Of course there is always the option of using a single hook instead of a treble but that will no doubt detract from the 'steel or not' debate and open up yet another bucket of worms...

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Stainless Steel Hooks - Time for a Change.

First of all the news link doesn't work.

If it's refering to the article I think it is: I would say that the logic is seriously flawed and would result in an own goal and eventual environmental nightmare.

Imagine Non bio-degradable treble hooks: some lost and left lying around for millennia, waiting to snare swans and seabirds, creating a circle when that unfortunate animal dies (even of old age :rolleyes:) and subsequently decays.
Thank goodness such hooks don't exist, nor is there a market for them IMHO.

Current stainless hooks, even expensive top of the range Homosassa Tarpon fly-hooks will eventually rust after salt-water use despite a passivation layer of Chromium Oxide CR2O3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

This is why inert gold, monel Ni/Cr, or titanium implants have to be used for dentistry and surgery.

The Homosassa hook is quite brutal in design, try squeezing a barb without a vice, even the strongest forceps will wilt.

Titanium hooks anyone?? :wh

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The link works for me.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

How about in fresh water? Would they eventually rust out then too?

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
The link works for me.

Now working for me too. Before it was going to a blank FishingMagic page directing me to contact Admin as it couldn't be viewed.

I've read the article with interest. It wasn't what I thought it would be :eek:
although elements were - as recently mentioned in other threads. eg. The BBC Shark one.

How about in fresh water? Would they eventually rust out then too?

No, at least not in a freshwater fish's lifetime.

There are many different stainless steels, I'm no expert but I assume the non-magnetic steels are most resistant to corrosion. I'd try a magnet on various S/S hooks to gather info.

I asked a diver earlier today and was told a top quality scuba-knife will last about a decade before really bad pitting sets in.
I've a good stainless sheath knife that I sometimes use to cut fresh whole beef tripe for the dogs. Despite wiping straight after use, remnant digestive juices seem to have stained the knife quite badly - but it hasn't corroded, yet.

I have some #4 gold plated trebles I aquired in Sweden (Baltic pike). They would fit the bill if you want to try some, but they have whisker barbs - crushing them would cause that part to corrode quickly just as it does in black nickel finished hooks.

Another anomaly would be if a weak 'cell' between the hook, wire trace and brass swivel were to occur. Depending on water conductivity, more than pH, corrosion would then increase dramatically (boats have sacrificial zinc anodes) - so many factors...

Education, and a switch to one big fine-wire barbless single hook, would seem logical alternatives.

Last edited:

supgen

Reaction score
non magnetic ferrous metal is a first on me.

I would love to be able to fish conventional plugs and other similar treble hook lures with single hooks instead but just don't have the confidence to.

I remember an interesting article by mick brown about hair rigs for pike- I might have to experiment with this over winter.