Bream groundbait

Beaker

Reaction score
Anybody give me advice on a mix for big bream.I have tried numerous mixes and just dont seem to find a mix I am happy with

richiekelly

Reaction score
a groundbait with a high fishmeal content along with trout pellets will bring them in on one carp water i fish you cant use pellets or the bream move in and although i like catching bream i dont when i am carp fishing

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Get yourself a good stockist (local pet and equestrian suppliers better) for some ground fish meal, breadcrumbs, and molasses (for horses).

The fish meal is the dearest and you could at a pinch make your own breadcrumbs by buying last minute loaves from the supermarket. Mix them to suit, 50/50 or more bread than meal, up to you.

Mix the molasses 50/50 with water and take it with you to pour on the stuff on the bank. It will give the crumb a really dark brown colour and will smell sweet.

You can grind down some pellets, but the fish meal is about the same stuff and won't be coarse.

Another one is Vitalin Original Dog food. As it comes or grind it down in a food processor. Mix as above with crumb and molasses.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I also like to had boiled rice to my groundbait to bulk it out abit but more importantly to help hold the bream in the swim plus its cheap

Waveney One

Reaction score
Woody has it spot on apart from 'mix it on the bank'. I always do mine at home the day before and the reason for that is that it 'deadens' the G/B. Mix it on the bank and it is an 'active' mix with bits coming off it and floating towards the surface. This is especially so with the vitalin.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I've never been a fan' of home-made groundbaits. I know that a lot of people swear by them, but personally I far prefer Continental mixes.

So, for Bream, here is what I would use:

1 bag Van den Eynde (VdE) Gold Pro plus one bag of VdE Superlake, with an addition of about half a bag of Brasem.
This will give you a heavy(ish) mix that will carry a good amount of loose feed. For Bream I'd use squatts or pinkies as the Bream love them and some Caster as well.

If your chosen swim is very deep then substitute VdE Secret or Turbo for the Superlake, and if cost is an issue then bulk this mix out with up to 750g of Brown Breadcrumb.

If Sensas is your preferred maunfacturer then use Sensas 3000 Bream as it has a good mixture of Red and Yellow particles, but still add some brown crumb and the Brasem.

supgen

Reaction score
van den eyde CSL liquid mix, mollases, brasem, stench and swim stim green work well for me. Chuck some hemp, corn, casters and 2mm pellets in to add a bit of variety for hookbaits.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Woody has it spot on apart from 'mix it on the bank'. I always do mine at home the day before and the reason for that is that it 'deadens' the G/B. Mix it on the bank and it is an 'active' mix with bits coming off it and floating towards the surface. This is especially so with the vitalin.

Agreed unless you've previously ground the Vitalin down finely in a food mixer. I find less comes right up then, but enough still "fizzes" off the bottom to attract some fish in. You don't want too much fiz on a fast river else your groundbait will be feeding the guy's swim 6 pegs down.

Another one to add is ground hempseed, but for the life of me I can't remember - is it the roasted one that comes to the surface or the plain one. The roasted one is nicer to use and you don't need much of them in the mix either.

Short of making your own, I too like Sensas Bream 3000, particularly the red one. Both always smell like carrot cake to me, though, and I can't leave grub alone when I'm using it. cut it 25/75 with breadcrumb and it works out a bit cheaper. It doesn't half pull in the roach and chub, though.

Of course, the finest feeder bait for all fish is 1 pint casters, 1 pint of hemp, ¼cup of breadcrumb, tiny bit of either the hemp water or river water. If bream come on, give them the Sensas mix with maggot on the hook. If chub come on, stick with the caster/hemp and put caster on the hook.

Unt now, I vill haff to shoot you all. ;)

Cakey

Reaction score
I would never bulk up to much with pellets corn rice etc as you will fill them up and they stop feeding for a while
better to keep with the powders and smells if on a short session

slime monster

Reaction score
I tried rice on the Trent in the 80s when it was thick with Roach ,having loose fed it and run a stick through at all depths and speeds without a bite I reached the conclusion they did not want it

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never bulk up to much with pellets corn rice etc as you will fill them up and they stop feeding for a while better to keep with the powders and smells if on a short session

Another good reason to use Continental type ground baits that attract rather than feed.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Another good reason to use Continental type ground baits that attract rather than feed.

OR - you could try ground rice (that's ground up rice like flour not rice that grows on the ground :wh)

But I agree, watch how much cereal you add anyway as it will always feed them up. That's why the caster and hemp is good, they never get enough.