Camera shake

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the thread on a camera for the tripod is standard on all cameras and what size it is? My camera is a Panasonic lumix fz28 incidentally.

Unfortunately I now suffer from a degree of hand shaking due to old age I suppose, so I find it difficult to keep the camera steady when taking freestanding shots which is emphasised when using the zoom, whats the answer, is there an answer other than using a tripod?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Not sure what the thread size is, but you can buy a bankstick adapter for a camera and then use the bankstick like a monopod. It is not as bulky as a tripod and easily transported.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Graham, I have a similar Panasonic camera and have no problems with camera shake, even with telephoto and macro shots. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but is the anti-shake (Image Stabiliser) mode turned on, mine has two settings.

Cakey

Reaction score
Tripod Threads

1/4" - 20 UNC
This thread is used for rangefinder camera, roll film cameras (also DSLRs) up to medium format cameras, quick release plates and panoramic heads.
3/8" - 16 UNC
Some medium format cameras and almost all large size cameras as well as most of the connectors between tripods and panoramic heads use this thread.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Graham try a monopod ,Ive one that is a walking stick also

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

blimey theres more shooting and scene modes than on my D300 switch all the auto stuff off ,select normal P mode and try if still shaky wack the iso up to 200 and try again

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

dunno if youve seen this ............
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz28/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz28-review.html

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I like the look of the monopod walking stick doodah presumably it has a screw adaptor on the top and is extendable is that correct? Which one do you recommend Cakey, preferably one that doesn't make me look like Burlington Bertie hahaha! Money no object so long as its cheap!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Can i ask a stupid question (well i usually do anyway)............. how will a monopod stop camera shake if he has got shakey hands???

Surely he still has to hold the stick and if his hands are shakey it will still cause camera shake unless it screws into the ground and then is hands free.

Cakey

Reaction score
you grip the camera and press down slightly
it will take out the dt shakes but still might suffer from drunken sways.
on a good day plenty of light about etc the camera should pick a shutter speed to quick to notice the shakes 1/125 of a second or quicker
on a dull day according to the specs of the camera the iso of 600 could be used without affecting picture quality to much and the camera should then pick around the same shutter speed
or he could switch to shutter priority and let the apeture go up and down if he is not to worried about DOF

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
All this aperture, ISO, shutter priority etc is way above my knowledge at the mo, I know they are there but not what they are for - yet. I've checked and the anti shake setting is on auto but does that apply in all settings or just intelligent auto?

The trouble with the book that comes with the camera is it assumes that you know what all these different settings are for, it doesn't cater for newbies like me. I could apply some setting and make the results worse but I wouldn't know why and it doesn't fully explain what each setting does and the affect.

I don't know if I will live long enough to understand all this camera mullarky but I will try, perhaps I ought to leave it on auto intelligence until then. :cool:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The beauty of digital photography is that you don't have to pay for your mistakes. You can therefore experiment till your hearts content. Maybe get a note book and jot the settings used for a particular photo down then compare results, You can also use forced flash which may help with some situations. They are good cameras and you proberbly just need a bit of practice in familiarising yourself with the controls and settings. Try it with less zoom and compare results, you have the equivelent of a 500mm lens. Not many could hand hold one of those.

Good luck, Ray.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Even better if you have Photoshop on your PC. It's surprising how easy it is to correct a poor photo with Photoshop, and you don't have to use the top Photoshop Software either. I have PS 7.0 and PS Elements 5.0 in my system.

Have a look at a few of my shots in my next article, coming up this week.

The easiest way to explain how a digital camera works Graham is by describing how our own eyes work. Inside our eyes we have a lens which is adjusted to bend light. Then we have the iris which is an opening which opens and closes allowing greater or lesser amounts of light through. At the back of the eyeball we have the retina which is equivalent to a sensor in a digital camera. It is made up of rods and cones which can be likened to the number of pixels on the sensor of a camera.

The shutter opens and closes allowing light to enter the camera where it meets the lens which focuses the image on the retina or sensor which in turn transmits the image to the brain or computer.

Simple innit!

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

To avoid camera shake it helps is you were ever taught how to shoot a rifle.

Hold the camera in a firm yet relaxed grip, breath in, then out, then hold your breath and squeeze off the shot - just like squeezing off the trigger.

Graham will confirm this, he has probably shot more different firearms in his life than most of us.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Monopod sounds like the best idea Graham, it will reduce a lot of movement when taking pictures.

I would think (probably) that the anti-shake applies all the time when switched on as it is unlikely to adversely affect any manual settings.

The shutter speed and aperture are how the camera controls the amount of light hitting the CCD (the sensor that records the image). If the shutter is open longer then more light gets through but the camera has to be steadier to avoid camera shake - the aperture in the lens is like the human iris, as Ron stated, it can be made wider or narrower; the wider it is, the more light gets through - like your eyes in the dark.

You can use the settings to give different effects, but essentially a fast shutter speed and a wide aperture will let in the same amount of light as a slow shutter speed and a narrow aperture.

On auto the camera decides all of this for you, if you have modes like sport or landscape then the camera still balances the two settings to control the light but it will favour a faster shutter spped for sports (to freeze the action) and probably a narrower aperture for landscapes (to increase the depth of field - put more of the image in sharp focus).

aperture.jpg

This image I nicked of t'internet shows a large aperture used on the top image and a narrower one at the bottom. In both photos the camera has been focussed on the central face.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Unfortunately I now suffer from a degree of hand shaking due to old age

It's taking pictures of young birds walking down the street that does it. For me at least!

Graham, I use and Exped Viewfinder when out and about.
1298.gif

If you keep your eyes on Digital Photo Magazine they often give one away with a yearly subscription and there's a DVD in every copy showing you how to use Elements and Photoshop. Useful!

Now, on most small digitals you might find a 'Sports' mode and that will use a faster shutter speed which kills shake. Failing that, can you set the ISO film speed (even on a digital though there's no film) and just set it to maybe 400 or 800. Sometimes you have to go to manual mode to set it. That will also force the camera to use faster shutter speeds.

Just had a look on the specs of yours Graham and there is a Sport mode. Also you have a Shutter Priority mode that you could use and wind it up (read the manual) to something over 1/100th of a second. That will get over most shake except real knee tremblers.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Graham, The monopod is good for wandering around, taking shots, pointless for you if it's trophy shots you're after, a small tripod would be better for that.

These are the ones I have:

"Baby" Tripod Clicky

Monopod Clicky

I also have one of these, not bad for self shots or overhead shots.

Armpod Clicky

Last edited: