Hemp

jcs

Reaction score
Friend or Foe.
After all these year's of Angler's use Hemp for feed when Barbel fishing.
Do you think it is still got it's pulling power or are Barbel angler move over more to pellet's and Boilie's as feed nowaday's.

Nigel (manu31999)

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
yes it is and particularly so in rivers as its shape and density allow it to get trapped in gravel or stones where other feed ie maggot get carried a long way down stream in comparison

richiekelly

Reaction score
i wont go fishing for anything (predators exepted ) without the stuff it attracts it holds and it catches what more could you want from a bait, it has been used for many many years and i belive it will continue to be effective for many years to come

A

alan whittington

All the above posts,i echo their sentiments,and also on some rivers i get the impression that barbel are getting a little suspicious of pellet so amounts and size of pellet is critical.:)

POLO

Reaction score
Hemp, Lost it's puling power? No manu definately not, the more the merrier. try it with some chopped chili's in the winter ond sugar it in the summer.

jcs

Reaction score
how to make your Hemp pva freindly

Thank's for all you replie's lads.
One more question about hemp to ask you all is after cooking it is the any thing you can do or put on it to make it pva freindly.

Any tip's i would be most grateful.

Nigel (manu31999)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Drain off the liquid and coat in an oil - hemp oil as Alan suggests would seem the obvious choice - you only need to coat the seeds lightly in it.

Or - use the good old bait-dropper instead and fish a nearside bank swim.

Or - add the ground seeds / groundbait to the cooked seeds literally as you bag them up to prevent it drawing all the moisture from the seeds and making them float. This means making them on the bank as and when you want them though which seems a bit of a faff.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Or - mix a hemp based groudbait with the liquid from the cooking process - plug one end of an open ended feeder with it - fill with hemp seed - plug the other end with groundbait again.

Or - Just fill blockend feeders with the cooked seed - tape over a few of the holes to slow its release underwater.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I never go without a pint or two of hemp, it's something I use on canal, stillwater and river without reservation, from a spod full to 3 or 4 grains around a pole float.

As for making it PVA friendly, as mentioned drain off and coat in hemp oil or if it's being used right away it can be dusted with groundbait but as mentioned don't do this if you aren't using it right away of it will float.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I always add some Tares(25%)to my hemp which has an entirely different odour.I cook them seperately(slightly different cooking times)then add together and leave overnight before draining and bagging.....
This may not give me an edge but its something slightly different to offer the fish rather than straight hemp and I do better than most on my local pit.It forms the base of my groundbait for carp(boilies fished over the top)as well as river fish and holds the fish without overfeeding as I use very sparingly.

That said,hemp straight is still the best holder of fish but I've never been one for dumping pounds of the stuff into a swim as some others do-never seen the point when I catch okay.....

Agree its a great base for groundbait when tench fishing(among others!)

astrix

Reaction score
I fish the river wye alot and I'll say that trout pellets mixed with cooked hemp from a bait dropper is a killer.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hemp is a great source of omega 3 and 6. This can only be got through eating. It also has quite a high vegetable fat content, Add this to the fact very few people use it on the hook and the preoccupation it causes and you are on a winner. A great hemp oil is sold at Sainsbury's and is called "Good Oil". about £6 for 500ml

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Hemp is a great source of omega 3 and 6. This can only be got through eating. It also has quite a high vegetable fat content, Add this to the fact very few people use it on the hook and the preoccupation it causes and you are on a winner. A great hemp oil is sold at Sainsbury's and is called "Good Oil". about £6 for 500ml
Tesco sell it too, I've been on it for a while and it's spot on...... very nutty. :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Questions:

Hemp Oil........might it have a detrimental effect on the fish??

Hemp Oil........how much to use(for example)per kilo of hemp(very,very little it seems!)?

Hemp Oil........being an oil does it leave a 'slick' on the surface of the water??

Never used it and the 'nutty flavour' mentioned above sounds good so if I can get some more feedback from anyone who has scientific knowledge(or an educated opinion)on this I would consider using it..................

As you can see from the above(and not being too fussy)I don't want to use anything without giving some thought to its long term effect on the water AND fish!!
The thought of my lake looking like an Oil tanker has sunk overnight might just upset the Club...(they ARE fussy!!)

Any help appreciated!

Last edited: