River Medway...

tony 7

Reaction score
im based in kent, in Maidstone...

but i would like to try the river tomorrow, after a terrible days fishing at a lake, i caught "naff" all..

where is it quiet, and nice to fish, and what location..
me and my partner will be going tomorrow, but dont want to go off a bridge...lol

Thanks.
Tom.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ask in your local tackle shop when you buy your bait, if they're not helpful find another tackle shop, after all they speak to anglers and see match results on an almost daily basis.

There is tackle shop at Wateringbury not too far from you, a phone call to them might not go amiss.

Reaction score
Hi Gotackle - how did the trip go? (I thought you said you were based in Rochester - I'm confused!!!)

I grew up in Barming and learned my fishing along the Medway from Teston down to Allington lock. It is a long while since I fished the River however....I left when there was only one road bridge across the Medway in Maidstone Town centre!

I believe the tow-path banks from below East Farleigh down to Allington locks are still free fishing. That's one of the longest lengths of free water in the South-East. I don't know where the current hotspots are but...

In winter the Maidstone Town stretch is one of the prime roach waters...shoals of roach gather in the area above the old Bridge and now between the two bridges. If you're still allowed I used to do well trotting down where the hire-boats place is just outside the Archbishop's gardens. Where the Len flows in to the main river was always a popular spot. I would also recommend going further upstream to Tovil bridge...again look just downstream of the bridge to the far bank this time...where the River Loose flows into the Medway - that's a little bit more difficult to find. There are some other good spots between Tovil and East Farleigh....we always wanted to get to "Dead Man's Drop" - don't ask I can't remember the exact details just below where the river really starts to widen about 3/4 mile below East Farleigh!!

Above East Farleigh the water is run by Maidstone Victory Angling (they have a website - not brilliant) which is poor on their stretches of the Medway (odd as it was always their main waters). Joining will cost about £90 - which sounds as though that's something for the future for you!

Don't get down re the poor days..they make the goods ones special. The Medway is a challenging river but has provided me with lasting memories. Find a stretch you like and persevere - talk to local tackle dealers/anglers...and good luck!

Poshers (OM)

Olim Meminisse Juvabit!