Choice of Rigs

C

Chris Betts

I have been Carp fishing for a number of years (17). In that time I have seen things come and go. THe other night I was walking round my current choice of venue. I stood chatting to a young Carp angler for a while. During this time he reeled in one of his rods. I know the swim quite well so new that there was a fair amount of soft silt present. He was using a rig that comprised of three loops - two on the boom part of the rig which was about 4 inches long, and one on the hook section which was about 2 inches. The rig also contained two rig rings. It was a stiffish mono or flurocarbon rig. In short it was simaler to the Terry Hearn rig. When he retrieved it it was also covered in old weed which is also a feature in this area. I think my face probably gave away what I thought, because he sprang to the defence of the technique, saying that it was very effective on another water. I cannot coment on this, but he was yet to catch on the lake. The point of this long winded explanation is to ask the question. Do you choose a rig on fashion or one that suits the conditions. By rig I also include the lead arrangement.