lures for chub

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Having caught 4 chub today on bread trotting a stickfloat on the Rother I was thinking of taking the lure ord next time and trying for chub on the lures - with the chance of pike and perch as well

What lure work well for chub?

Beaker

Reaction score
I fish with lures for chub on the thames and I have had most sucsess with small plugs like the Shakespere Big S Fox Terminator and Spro Pikefighter Junior.

supgen

Reaction score
had a couple around 3lb on the aire last summer, small mepps taking them

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The only chub i`ve caught on a lure,was taken on a surface plug....a jitterbug type one that made a lot of splash commotion.
I cast out and let the current take the lure downstream to a raft of floating debris right next to a part submerged tree.
I began my retrieve and WHAM BAM !!! The most viscious take on a lure i`ve ever experienced !!!
I wish i had my scales with me that day because it was easily a five pounder and it would have been a pb.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've had several (up to 4 in a session) when pike/perching on the Thames from a boat, sometimes more chub than pike or perch! Using fat little dumpy 2 inch floating plugs cast to overhanging vegetation. Usually get the take almost as soon as the lure hits the water.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had chub on mepps sizes from no 1's to no 5's. I have only had a couple of dabbles at spinning for chub but was lucky and got some quite decent ones up to just over 6lb.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Black and bushy

I fish the Eastern Rother in Sussex/Kent. PRobably not the same Rother as you but, I have had many chub on fly tackle and a big black bushy fly. Not fly casting as such; just flicking it and dabbling here and there. mind you this is a narrow part of the river where I somtimes fish. Works better when the waters clear. Alsi I have found spinning a small minnow loking spinner works; probably because there are minnows in this part of the river. And this works better in the early part of the season; for some reason it dioes not work as well later on in the summer and winter.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
M'lud, there's still time left to get them on Jitterbugs before the hard weather sets in. Small Alphabet plugs, like the Big S, and Midi S will take them too, with perhaps a bonus Pike or Perch thrown in. Try to find one with a chrome finish. Some whacking Perch in the Rother.

Best of luck.