Cambridgshire fishing instructor required

tortoise100

Reaction score
I am moving down to Cambridgshire over the next two weeks and want some companionship as well as instruction in the local area.
I will be moving to cambourne and a search on the internet shows loads of fishing venues within easy reach.
I am willing to just sit and learn as well as participate in various types of fishing.
What I am espesially interested in at the moment is barbel,zander and catfish but I would like to catch big carp as well.
My pb is 10lb carp so far.
I also like a good laugh and a few beers if the fishing is not delivering .
I would expect to spend around £8 on bait per session but as this moment I am not a huge spender in that line ,making my own ground bait and using corn,meat and hemp .

Waveney One

Reaction score
Coach and companion

You will struggle with barbel around Cambourne. There are some in the Ouse, further West, some in Wensum further North and a very few in Suffolk Stour. Have a look on the PAA website for coaches but I think that you will struggle for those in that area as well. I do a bit of coaching at the Suffolk Water Park near Ipswich which East down the A14 from you. We have carp to at least mid 30's in the specimen lake. I haven't a clue about catfish although there are one or two in some ponds local to me here in Ipswich but I have never fished for them. Getting a bit late in the year for them now as well.

So I have N,S, W and E but nothing near you. The local commercial is Lawn Farm Fishery which is really close to Cambourne, if not part of the same post code. Not sure about speci fishing there but there are plenty of carp up to low doubles.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A day out with Gordy Howes will suit you. He guides for predators (loves zeds) from his boat in Ely and he also runs the St Ives monster carp fishery. He's an ex-EA Fishery officer and knows all the local waters like the back of his hand. He is one of the best anglers and funniest and nicest guys I've ever met. Spend a day out fishing with him and ask him every cambs fishing question you can think of. He'll probably be able to answer most if not all of them. Just don't upset him though - the last one who did that is buried in a fenland swamp somewhere :)
Find him here: http://www.stiveslakes.com/

tortoise100

Reaction score
Cheers chaps very informative will try getting in touch with mentioned people.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Cambourne doesn't to my knowledge have much fishing on the doorstep, but you are not to far from St. Neots and the Gt. Ouse. Also not far from Huntingdon and St. Ives, again the Gt. Ouse. Loads of pits at all three towns mentioned. Lawn Farm at Elsworth for a commercial carp fishery.
St. Ives is on the edge of Fenland so plenty of Pike and Zander to have go at north of the town. The Gt. Ouse has Pike and Zander as well, oh and large carp if you can pin them down.
Nearest Barbel would be the Nene at Peterborough if there are any left. Failing that it's a trip to the far side of Bedford and the Gt. Ouse again.
There were some Barbel stocked into the upper Cam many years ago but I believe that was a failure.
If you fancy a bit of Trout fishing you are only about 12 miles from Grafham Water.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Blimey....i used to deliver to Cambourne evry day for UPS,up until 2 weeks ago!!
Opposite side of the A428 at Cambourne is "Lawn farm fishery",it`s a well run fishery and has an onsite tackle shop (i`ve delivered to it a few times).

Although "Lawn farm" is classed as elsworth,it`s actually a couple of miles outside it.It`s literally the opposite side of the A428 from Cambourne business park.....easy to find.
The only other fishing i can think of in the area is back down the A428 at St.Neots or Head past papworth towards Godmanchester/Huntingdon on the A14 to fish the river there.
You could always take a trip into the chesterton area of cambridge and visit the tackle shop there for some advice ???

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
Ill do it........................................................£80 per hour