River Swale

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Hi all
Planning a days fishing on thursday and was hoping to have a day on the stick, could anyone tell me of any decent day ticket stretches on the Swale that might be worth trying.
Ive been told about Crakehill weir at Cundall farm, could anyone tell me if this is any good and how i go about getting to it. Also anyone could point me in the direction of any other stetches please.
Cheers Gareth

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Either of the Cundall stretches should be OK. For the Farm stretch (Crakehill weir) Take the helperby road from Topcliffe (obvious on maps). The farm is after about 2 miles on the left, it's the first farm that is close to the road. Access is through the field gate just before the farm. Pay ticket money before you fish.

For Cundall hall continue into the village and turn left at the cross roads. Honesty box in the cottages on the left. Continue into the farm yard, go right and park in front of the barn.

Fished the Swale today without success. It's a couple of inches up on normal level so it's risen about 6 inches and coloured. It's likely to rise a bit more with this rain so it might well still be coloured on Thursday although it should be dropping.

You need to switch on messaging on your profile.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sean thats just what i was after. Coulud you help me with a couple more things? Ive had a look on google and found the farm, do you just drive across the field to the weir and park there and where do you need to go to pay for dayticket?

I think ive sorted messaging out please let me know if its still not working.

Cheers Gaz

Last edited:

Skoda

Reaction score
Gaz

You could give Myton Grange a try. Through Helperby, Turn right, after a mile or so look for farm buildings on right. Park in farmyard, put day-ticket money in envelope with car reg number. Fishing through gates to river and upstream for two or three fields. Haven't fished there for a couple of years but nice variety.

Good luck

Andy

Rickrod

Reaction score
Gareth just park infront of the gate nip in to the farm yard go to the back door on your left is a honesty box on the window sill. you can drive down to the weir or you can keep going forward on the track if you want park behind your swim. If its been raining alot just park next to the barn just inside of the gate. remember to close all the gates mate

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Good luck! I blanked on Tuesday afternoon. The river will be at normal summer level with a fair bit of colour. Be prepared to keep moving until you find fish. Chub are your best bet in these conditions.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
Fished today on the stretch below weir had 1 barbel(first one from a yorkshire river), 1 small chub and a small grayling the 2 lads with me had a chub and a trout each. The level dropped a bit whilst we were there and i struggled for bites after first couple of hours. If im honest took to much gear so stayed in one swim(used to fishing Trent) but really enjoyed it and will defo go back, next time think i will scale down and have a wander about. Once again thanks for all the info

Gaz