Neoprene waders...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I am looking at getting a pair of waders, I can't really push the boat out and so am looking at these Ron Thompson offerings.

Here.

Does neoprene actually keep you dry or just warm in water?

I thought - with neoprene wet suits - that a layer of water was trapped between your skin and the suit keeping you warm in the water but the blurb about all the neoprene waders says they are waterproof.

Anybody know what the truth of the matter is?
And any other wader advice would be appreciated also.

Ta.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I don't own a pair of waders myself although at a recent club work party I wore some shakespeare neoprene waders and I was bone dry when In took them off, so I would imagine they would be the same.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Neoprene waders are totally waterproof. They are also very warm. The layer of water thing is a myth. Wet suits work a lot better if no water gets in - hence dry suits!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
But they are so warm you tend to sweat a bit in them - so at the end of the day you can be as wet inside as out! :)

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Paul, neoprene is both waterproof and insulating, obviously the thinker the nepoprene, the warmer they are. They also have some stretch to them so as you get older, they grow with you. It is limited stretch though.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
But they are so warm you tend to sweat a bit in them - so at the end of the day you can be as wet inside as out! :)

A bit ? Sweat your cobs off more like !

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Personally I'd rather wear more layers under ordinary waders than wear neoprene.Breathables are very nice to wear but eventually [I'm told] they always leak but so far mine haven't.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I bought myself a pair of the Ron Thompsons and think they're excellent value for money. Last winter on the Stour they kept me warm and dry, superb when it chucked it down with rain - better than my waterproof bib and jacket set up! Very comfortable to stand up in all day trotting whether you're in the water or not. Good heavy duty velcro shoulder fastenings. They are a bit of a sod to get into tho!

Did a bit of wading/trotting this summer/autumn and again they were excellent. Did sweat a bit after a hike to the swims but no more than usual!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Paul my son's just got a pair of Daiwas from Ted Carters, I have a pair of Shakespeares, but you cannot get them anymore, think Mr Thompson and Mr Daiwa are the only ones that do them now.

XIII13

Reaction score
I got mine from www.fishingwaders.co.uk

Might not be the most fashionable gear on the bank, but I bought some thigh waders three years ago and have never had a problem (and they get used a lot). Plus they are a British company.

I agree with some of the other comments that they can get a bit warm inside though.

STEVE

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
ron thompson are fine, daiwa possibly better and best of all, snowbee granite, u sweat in all of them. Greys breathable, pukka, fold away to no size,no warmth, and boots allow water to drain away. Problem when temp below freezing, water freezes in boots, remedy, socks with element under toes and battery on calf, hope it helps.

I wish I was a glow, a glow worms never glum
Cause how can u be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum

slb

Reaction score
They do keep you dry and warm for a limited amount of time.
I have found they stay waterproof for a couple of months and then the crotch and inside the knees will develop small leaks. The repair kits you get with them will do a job for a limited amount of time.
Obviously this will all depend on how often you wear them. Working as a magazine photographer, I was sometimes wearing mine three days a week.
A fishery owner once told me that the Daiwa ones were worth spending the extra on, as they would last a lot longer than cheaper ones, but I've seen no evidence of this. Another freelancer I discussed this with said his Daiwas lasted three months before they sprung a leak on a seam, so he went back to getting the cheapest ones he could find.

I currently have a pair of Ron Thompsons and even the rubber boot (it won't keep your feet warm, by the way!) was leaking while I was stood up to my ankles in the River Wye last weekend. And boy did I get sweaty when walking down the bank to visit ****y and the others!