Winter carping bait combination

maver man

Reaction score
This Saturday i am going to a venue where there are lots of over hanging trees, a few islands to fish to and a few reed beds. (no underwater features on a clay bottom)
I am going to fish 1 rod with a 15mm spicy sausage boilie with trout pellets in a pva bag to the island and my other rod with meat on the hair next to the reed beds (near the margins) and fish that over hemp and corn.

Do you think that would be a wise way to go at fishing it or would you guys do it another way from what i have described to you?

Thanks,
Adam.

supgen

Reaction score
on the margin rod I'd be more inclined to fish corn, then you have two pretty different hookbaits out there to see which is gonna work.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right i get'cha.
I may even put a few enterprise floating corn on there to get a pop-up affect.

Nathan

Reaction score
I worry less about the bait im using and more about the placement of it. Find the fish first then put some bait in front of them - simples.

maver man

Reaction score
I understand that nathan but at this water i fish there are millions of roach and rudd on the top and the carp stay down on the bottom and the only way to catch the carp is by using a bait dropper to get the bait down quickly and then using large solid hook baits on a heavy lead.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'd agree with Frothey....the water temperatures are still high and for that reason I would stick with fruit based boilies or usual summer baits be it corn or whatever....
I am still fishing pineapple boilies and took an 18.5 lb mirror on Monday in 1metre of water-close in.Did not need much in the way of loose feed-tares and broken bits of boilie.....
Obviously you will go with what you think is right for your water but because I can fish several times a week I can keep my swim topped up with bait.In fact I intend using the current bait well into November PROVIDING the water temp stays up and the fish respond.....
Personally I take water temp regularly(as the air temp doesn't necessarily reflect the water temp)and a couple of frosts doesn't necessarily mean the water gets colds overnight!
Anyway this is my way for what its worth but good luck with your approach!!

Maver Man---are you saying the small fish are attacking boilies...........I have some small fish in my water but they don't interfere with baits this hard....

Last edited:

maver man

Reaction score
Yes tee they dont interfere with the boilies.
Do you think spicy sausage would be appropriate for this time of year?

supgen

Reaction score
Yes tee they dont interfere with the boilies.
Do you think spicy sausage would be appropriate for this time of year?

don't see why not. The fish should be packing on the weight so a good protein base will seem very attractive IMO.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
All the above answers are good. It isnt yet winter, far from it and if your specifically looking for Carp then you must find them first then feed them bigger baits, Boilies will be one of the better options if you say there are thousands of smaller silver fish. The silvers will clear out your smaller feed items in a matter of minutes once theve found them.

Bigger baits for the carp once youve found them is the way ahead, use whatever boilies you have confidence in.

a simple bottom bait rig over the clay bed should work. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Nathan

Reaction score
I understand that nathan but at this water i fish there are millions of roach and rudd on the top and the carp stay down on the bottom and the only way to catch the carp is by using a bait dropper to get the bait down quickly and then using large solid hook baits on a heavy lead.

My apologies, I didn't realise that was the issue - I hoipe you don't think I was being rude.

Anyway, on the bait front have you considered a trimeed down tiger nut? I've had success on them on several waters. Alternatively glugged hookbaits might be a solution.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh no no nathan you werent being rude mate sorry to put that impression across.
I am trying to get my hands on some tigers but i am mega short on money and i am in need for some terminal tackle as well i.e. stiff coated braid, shrink tubes, korda strippa tool and lead core but the prices mount up :(

Nathan

Reaction score
No worries - I wasn't sure so i thought i should apologise just in case ;)

I can understand what you mean about the costs mounting up. Thats why i spent ages 'hiding' all the bits i'd acquired after carefully removing the price tags!

In terms of the leadcore what do you want to use this for? If its just to pin the line down you might do better just attaching a few blobs of putty to pin the line down. I know a lot of venues are banning leadcore so this option may help in the long run. There are also a few companies making weighted rig tubing which is another option. I dont really use leadcore that much (although thats due to personal reasons) but i've found my catch rate picked up a bit after i stopped using it on certain venues.

Have you tried maize? You can pick that up fairly cheap & it will withstand the attentions of little silver fish.

I hope this helps a bit :)

supgen

Reaction score
you should be able to pick up loads of particle type baits like tigers and maize uncooked from all sorts of bait companies, it works out cheaper in the long run if you cook them yourself.

I cook up batches at a time and freeze them, take them out the night before I plan to use them.

just soak your baits for 24 hours atleast and cook for 30 mins atleast in the same water. Save all the juices!

Don't use leadcore myself either, infact I don't use anything up the line apart from maybe a stronger leader for casting/abrasion resistance and maybe as nathan suggests a bit of putty up the line.

chadl

Reaction score
Hello,

If i was going to fish over a bed of hemp, pellet and sweetcorn i would fish a KD rig with Enterprise popup sweetcorn or pellets of similar nature on a standard hair rig.

IMO i think fishing a boilie over this bed of food would just send alarm signals to any feeding carp.

Something i like to fish now as winter is coming and the carp are starting to feed up.

Buy some boilies and matching stick mix, crush down the boilies with the korda crusher to almost dust and mix it 50 / 50 with the stick mix, add a can of tuna in brine which will then create a perfect stick mix.

Get a handful of boilies and chop them with scissors at all different angles making sure to keep all parts cut, put around 5 of these chops and a few whole into PVA mesh and tie up a small stick.

I like to thread my hooklink through the 50 / 50 mix and just before sticking the hook into the stick clip on the small bag of chops then pull it into the stick.

I then fish either whole or chopped boilies on the hair.

Thanks, Darren.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right fair enough.
I bought 400g worth of trout pellets with the last of my money but received only 300g do you think it is right to complain about it?