Newbie rig help please

gustinkg

Reaction score
Hiya guys....im kinda new back to fishing after a long break without picking a rod up...but loving every minute!! im gona be fishing a carp lake calld witham friary near frome soon, ive fished it on and off for years,, i dont think its heavily stocked, two questions i need help with please.. Both lakes are fairly shallow around 3ft across the whole water with large weed beds in there...

what would be the best rig to use would you say? it seems that you dont really get fish unless your fishing right up to the weedbeds....
also i know the pellet thing appears to be have used alot now... this lake isnt heavily fished and im curious to know weather it would be worth using pellets on a water that hasnt really seen many? i normally fish a lead out to the weedbed and a float around 2 rods out...the baits that have done well over the years have been meat, and boilies...but dont seem to do that well now...
any ideas for a good bait out there?? i was even thinking of trying maggots!!

Any help would be great thanks..
Tone

gustinkg

Reaction score
Maggots are a great all round bait, get some big lobworms too and a tin of corn.

Try a simple running rig - if the carp are used to bolt style rigs they may be fooled by the lack of resistance.

Search the rigs pages here.

Thanks for that Paul, ive tried lobs a while ago and never had a touch suprisingly, i reckon maggots are on the menu...cheers again mate.

supgen

Reaction score
get urself some korda maggot clips in that case, and hook on a big pva mesh bag of wrigglers.

perhaps a method feeder might be the way to go, using groundbait and particles.

chadl

Reaction score
Do you know if boilies work well on the lake at all?

If so i would try bright popups on a chod rig.

Thanks, Darren.

chadl

Reaction score
The OP suggests its very weedy, I would try to find clear spots and fish bottom baits and one on a chod just off a clear spot.

Thanks, Darren.

Frothey

Reaction score
that's better ;)

You'll still have the problem with the birdlife. Ever fished Fordwich?

The problem you can have with clear spots is that everyone fishes them - much better to make your own....

chadl

Reaction score
True, Yes that was going to be my next post.

I would spod some particles several times a few weeks in advance if your able.

No i've not fished Fordwich, I've heard a lot about it and plan to give the CDAA waters a go next season.

Thanks, Darren.

Frothey

Reaction score
watch the birdlife if you do! the bream like a bit of spod as well.

Cracking lake, wish I still lived 300 miles closer. Stonar's fish are really coming on too.

chadl

Reaction score
Yes i've heard Fordwich is definitely one for the marker and spod.

Yes i've also heard good things about Stonar.

Where abouts did you use to live? Im from Broadstairs.

Thanks, Darren.